Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.O.G.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:25 AM
omega5m14
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H.O.G.

Purchased my 1st Harley, an 05 Ultra in Febuary this year.
I've received several emails from the dealership asking that
I join H.O.G.. I was just wondering if it was worth it? What
advantages are there as a member?
Thanks,

Old 05-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Sportsterjeep
Advanced
Default RE: H.O.G.

Aaahhh, another mixed answer post is brewing. Okay, I'm a H.O.G. member, joined before I bought the 08, and after that got a free 1 yr extension. They do the ABC's of touring contest, mileage program, fly and ride, pin stops. The cool part that I like is the local chapters. We did an easter egg hunt for the kids of just the local HOG members and the kids loved it. It also gives you a group to ride with for dinner rides, rallies, poker/dice runs. Check out the hog chapter from the dealer you bought the bike from, most of the time you can sit in on a meeting or two until you make up your mind. Also check out this link http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...bmLocale=en_US. you can surf around for yourself. The one negative thing brought up is alway about the hog road side assistance. My thoughts: If you join HOG just for that, you are joining for the way wrong reason.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:15 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: omega5m14

Purchased my 1st Harley, an 05 Ultra in Febuary this year.
I've received several emails from the dealership asking that
I join H.O.G.. I was just wondering if it was worth it? What
advantages are there as a member?
Thanks,
The H.O.G. website will probably answer most of your questions.

I got a free year membership with my bike, and I've pretty much concluded it isn't "worth it". If you put a high priority on the social aspects of Harley ownership, you might get something out of it. I get my enjoyment out of just riding my bike; I don't care if I'm alone or riding with someone, and if I am, it's unimportant to me what brand of bike they're on. But riding in organized, large groups, which H.O.G. events such as rallies focus on, is more of a PITA to me - everything happens at the pace of the slowest member, and a lot of time is spend stopped and doing nothing.

It's a personal thing only you can decide depending on what your priorities are. It's telling, however, that your dealer keeps nagging you about joining. What's his motivation, your welfare and enjoyment? Not likely. I view H.O.G. as a vehicle to promote brand loyalty, nothing more.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:19 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sportsterjeep

Aaahhh, another mixed answer post is brewing. Okay, I'm a H.O.G. member, joined before I bought the 08, and after that got a free 1 yr extension. They do the ABC's of touring contest, mileage program, fly and ride, pin stops. The cool part that I like is the local chapters. We did an easter egg hunt for the kids of just the local HOG members and the kids loved it. It also gives you a group to ride with for dinner rides, rallies, poker/dice runs. Check out the hog chapter from the dealer you bought the bike from, most of the time you can sit in on a meeting or two until you make up your mind. Also check out this link http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...bmLocale=en_US. you can surf around for yourself. The one negative thing brought up is alway about the hog road side assistance. My thoughts: If you join HOG just for that, you are joining for the way wrong reason.
I have to totally agree with Sportsterjeep. It gives a group within to socialize and increase the pleasure of owning and riding.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:15 PM
omega5m14
Cruiser

Thanks for the input guys. I generally ride alone and for the
most part, I'm a loner. I'll ride in a group if it's a cause I believe
in ie: Patriot Guard or in Memorial to a fallen Officer or Civil
Servant or Military personnel or Toys for Tots; something like
that. I'm not a social animal. Prefer to stay back in the woods
to bars or restaurants.
Maybe I'll continue to pass. Groups like this satisfy any need I
have for getting together with like minded people to discuss their
ride.
Thanks for the input.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:27 PM
workformetoo
Cruiser

I paid for a membership 2 months ago through my dealer (haven't heard squat)

Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 PM
rjgraham
Tourer

When its time to renew, blow them off for a few months........they will drop it to 20$ to re-up

Old 05-04-2008, 04:30 PM
omega5m14
Cruiser

Not encouraging, but sounds typical.
Thanks

Old 05-04-2008, 05:58 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It all depends on the chapter. The closer one to me is very small and meets at the dealer. They don't keep their website updated. My wife and I joined another Chapter which holds it's meetings at a VFW. Lots of fun, 50/50 raffle every month, about 60-80 people show up (more in riding season), Ice cream rides, dinner rides, at least 2 rides a week. They are going to the 105th party this year, i'm not planning on going myself, but really freindly people and we look forward to going every monthly meeting.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:02 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: workformetoo

I paid for a membership 2 months ago through my dealer (haven't heard squat)
After I paid for mine, I e-mailed the director and they said to just show up at the next monthly meeting. They will have your info there and introduce you.

Quick Reply: H.O.G.