Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:44 AM
rollover
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issues

Need some help here guy's seeing as the dealer can't seem to find or fix the problem. Sometimes when I go to start the bike and I turn on the ignition I'll have no power at all. Bike will be completely dead. There are other times when I turn on the ignition I have power but just get the clicking sound of the starter. As of late, when I turn on the ignition, it seems to be taking alot more time cranking to get it to fire up. I've had all 3 of these symptoms happen all in the same instance. This was happening last year and I took it to the dealer and they said it was the battery and replaced it. Seemed to fix the problem for some time but it is back again. I had the bike on a Tender all winter so the battery should have been fine. I took the bike off the Tender yesterday and went to start it and when I turned the ignition to "on", I had nothing. Turned it off and then on again and had power but was just getting the "clicking" sound. Turned it off and on again and the starter kicked in and the bike cranked but it took awhile for it to fire up. Not sure if the ignition switch it crapping out or what. When I initially installed my TMax I was amazed at how fast the bike would fire up when I would hit the starter button. I had this happen at the end of last summer where I rode the bike to work, came out to start it and either received the no power or clicking sound. Eventually it just seemed like the battery wore down to where it didn't have enough power to fire the bike. I had to jump start it off a buddies car to get it going. She fired right up with the jump. I rode it to the dealer which is about an hour ride from work. Turned the bike off and went inside and when I came back out to start the bike, nothing. This is when they had it and replaced the battery saying that was the fix. I had the recall done for the voltage regulator at the same time. Need to get this straightened out so I can ride the bike again and trust it will start up after it has been turned off.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:54 AM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: starting issues

Go here: https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/M...bmLocale=en_USand enter your vin to see if you need the ignition switch recal done. Sounds like the switch isnt working properly or the connector that plugs into the back of the switch inst pluged in solid and tight and not making good contact!

Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 AM
spartns
Road Master

It may be as simple as the battery connections. They've been known to come loose.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:07 AM
rollover
Road Captain

Sorry, should have mentioned that the ignition switch was replaced when there was a recall on them due to the locking mechanism sticking. Is there another recall on them for not functioning properly due to electronics? Also, would a bad ignition switch drain the battery in any way? Scary part is the bike is having symptoms similar to what I just went thru with my Chevy Avalanche. Again, took it to a "mechanic" and he said it was the fuel pump and was about a $600 job. I knew it wasn't the fuel pump from the symptoms so I went to the Chevy dealer and bought a $35 ignition switch and haven't had the problem since. Same situation with the HD shop. They don't seem to know what it is and I think I paid $100 for a new battery that didn't need replacing. Getting kind of tiredof paying for"mechanic" incompetence. Sad that we have to diagnose and fix our own vehicles because the people who are supposed to be trained in fixing them can't.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:18 AM
LarryInEastTn
Cruiser

Check your ground cable at theframe.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:19 AM
ridesegc04
Intermediate

did you have these problems before the ign switch was replaced?
If not Id be looking at the switch connections 1st.
Check battery voltage 2nd .
Clean all connections from battery to starter and make sure they are tight

Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 AM
WingIt
Advanced

Check your ground cable at theframe.
+1

Had kinda the same problem and the ground cable to the frame, the nut was only treaded down about
half way from factory..

Old 05-04-2008, 12:44 PM
dtmues
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the connections first. Both at the battery then at the frame & starter. Last check the cables themselves had a problem on a 66' impala. Changed starters batteries & all sorts of things. Wound up being a bad connection inside the terminal of the cable.

Good luck figuring it out. Intermittant electrical problems are the worst thing to diagnose.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:30 PM
rollover
Road Captain

Thanks for all the responses guy's. I did not have this problem before the ignition switch. It also didn't start right after the switch either. Not far after but not right after. I'll have to take a day and check wires, grounds and cables. If I don't find anything there, I'll probably change the ignition switch just for giggles. I started the bike twice already today and both times it fired up immediately like it used to. Anyone have a clue as to what an ignition switch costs? Anyone know the part number so I can get itfrom one of the 20% off dealers?