Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help identifying oil leak......

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 10:37 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need help identifying oil leak......

Ok this is what I've got going on. Behind the rear cylinder I'm getting alot of oil leaking onto the top of the transmission cover. I'm 99.9% sure it's engine oil, and it looks like it's comming from between the rear cylinder and head. Could it be a head gasket leaking by???. I did a CCP test and both cylinders are the same 210psi. Wouldn't the cylinder leak down while doing the CCP test if the head gasket was leaking??? I also poped off the push rod covers to see if they were leaking, and the O-rings looked good. I started to notice the oil leak last summer, But now it's getting worse and it's got me losing sleep. Anyone have any thoughts on what's going on????

Old 05-04-2008, 03:15 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help identifying oil leak......

ORIGINAL: 04RoadKing

Ok this is what I've got going on. Behind the rear cylinder I'm getting alot of oil leaking onto the top of the transmission cover. I'm 99.9% sure it's engine oil, and it looks like it's comming from between the rear cylinder and head. Could it be a head gasket leaking by???. I did a CCP test and both cylinders are the same 210psi. Wouldn't the cylinder leak down while doing the CCP test if the head gasket was leaking??? I also poped off the push rod covers to see if they were leaking, and the O-rings looked good. I started to notice the oil leak last summer, But now it's getting worse and it's got me losing sleep. Anyone have any thoughts on what's going on????
Had the same thing on my '99 RKC
It's probably not the head gasket but
I suspect the rocker cover gasket is leaking.
As both cylinders are 210psi, it must be rocker cover gasket.
Keep us posted

Peter

Old 05-04-2008, 06:22 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing as well.. Although I can't see where it would be coming from the rocker cover gaskets.. it almost looks like it coming from farther down below.. like the bottome of the jugs.. not the top...

Old 05-04-2008, 07:56 AM
LarryInEastTn
Cruiser

Clean it well with degreaser, or disc break cleaner, then run it for a while. The source of the leak should be evident. If you can't be sure if it's engine oil, and can't detect where the leak is coming from, I would suggest you pay someone with the proper training. Perhaps your local dealer has a tech or two with experience in this area?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:00 AM
son7771
Cruiser

Check rear base gasket. I dont think a leak there would effect compression.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:00 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

OK here are some pictures. I'm kinda thinking may Big peter is on the right track with it being the rocker housing gasket. But man I don't know??? it sure does look like it's comming from down alot lower like between the Head & cylinder. Take a look at the pictures.
LarryInEstTn I have clean'd it time after time and it's not as evident as you'd think. I've done most of the work on my Bike sence new. I'm no Tech my no means that's for sure. Most of my local dealers are a joke. So I will try and tackle this one as soon as I know where to start wrenching...

Old 05-04-2008, 01:39 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 04RoadKing

OK here are some pictures. I'm kinda thinking may Big peter is on the right track with it being the rocker housing gasket. But man I don't know??? it sure does look like it's comming from down alot lower like between the Head & cylinder. Take a look at the pictures.
LarryInEstTn I have clean'd it time after time and it's not as evident as you'd think. I've done most of the work on my Bike sence new. I'm no Tech my no means that's for sure. Most of my local dealers are a joke. So I will try and tackle this one as soon as I know where to start wrenching...

Don't know why the pics are so small?? They are kinda hard to see....

Old 05-06-2008, 12:17 PM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like mine is the rocker cover leaking.. now.. I wanna know if this is going to be a PITA like it was on my sporty... is there enough room between the frame and the rear rocker cover to get the cover off EASILY????

Old 05-06-2008, 05:58 PM
son7771
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: kyote

Looks like mine is the rocker cover leaking.. now.. I wanna know if this is going to be a PITA like it was on my sporty... is there enough room between the frame and the rear rocker cover to get the cover off EASILY????
Yes there is room after you remove seat and tank If it is rear you only need to remove tank and prop uo the back of the tank.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark it's kinda hard to see in those pics...

If you look with a flashlight at the side of the head gasket, does it look like the gasket is wet or dry?

You should be able to follow the oil from top to bottom or front to back & determine the general source of teh leak. While rocer boxes are certainly more prone to leaking than head gasket, anything is possible. Typically, you would hear a head gasket leak & your CCP's sound good.