Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic Licence Plate Options???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012 | 10:24 PM
BackRoader
Road Master

Drilled holes in my stock plate just above the originals, on the sloped area of the recessed bolt holes. Makes the plate lay at almost exactly the same angle as your fender and bags. Works like a charm. Mounting bolts stick out slightly, but license plate covers them up. Easy on the wallet also. Nice little custom touch. See my sig pic. If you need closer pics, PM me. Can't take credit for this idea, Read it in a thread here a few years ago.

Old 03-15-2012 | 09:25 AM
joejakegrace
Novice

Originally Posted by BackRoader
Drilled holes in my stock plate just above the originals, on the sloped area of the recessed bolt holes. Makes the plate lay at almost exactly the same angle as your fender and bags. Works like a charm. Mounting bolts stick out slightly, but license plate covers them up. Easy on the wallet also. Nice little custom touch. See my sig pic. If you need closer pics, PM me. Can't take credit for this idea, Read it in a thread here a few years ago.

Can I see some closer pics and a more detailed description of what you did? Sounds exactly like what I want!

Old 03-15-2012 | 12:48 PM
mike_oh
Road Master

Hey Dawg, remember I had asked the same question a while back? What I wound up doing was to take the ugly plate off and cut it down some. I shortened it and then cut out the big hunk of real estate in the center. Now I left the areas where the metal is rolled for strength. I then polished it to like chrome since it is stainless. To replace the bolts that hold it on in back I put studs in place of the bolts then used some chrome acorn style nuts. It looks really good! I will try and post a picture of it.

Originally Posted by dawg
The only problem with the Electra Glide plate frames is that the darn thing is part of the tour pak support. You can take the streetglide/roadglide plate and signal bar mount setup, but then you're left with that gawdy hunk o' metal supporting your tourpak. Now, if someone were to come up with say a bar & shield type metal outline to replace that piece of metal then it might look pretty cool.

Old 03-15-2012 | 01:01 PM
mike_oh
Road Master

Here is what I did. It is plenty strong!

Attached Thumbnails  Ultra Classic Licence Plate Options???-img_1167.jpg    Ultra Classic Licence Plate Options???-img_1166.jpg    Ultra Classic Licence Plate Options???-img_1165.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012 | 11:08 PM
mike_oh
Road Master

Bump.....

Old 02-09-2014 | 08:34 PM
wesshipman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mike_oh
Here is what I did. It is plenty strong!
mike_oh,

this is the best solution I have seen. What did you cut the license plate bracket with?

I installed a street glide turn signal bar and license plate bracket and originally removed the original license plate bracket. didn't think anything of it until I returned from riding and noticed my tour-pak was sagging about an inch or so. I have since reinstalled the bracket but I can't stand the looks.

Old 02-10-2014 | 05:24 AM
nyokie
Tourer

If you use the quick disconnect kit for your tour pack that eliminates any sag. And for the tag i used a bracket that uses the same mounting bolts as the taillight assembly, no drilling required. If you look at my previous posts i posted a pic i think?

Old 02-10-2014 | 01:29 PM
wesshipman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nyokie
If you use the quick disconnect kit for your tour pack that eliminates any sag. And for the tag i used a bracket that uses the same mounting bolts as the taillight assembly, no drilling required. If you look at my previous posts i posted a pic i think?
I understand that if I use the quick disconnect kit there won't be any tour-pak sag. I already did the street glide turn signal bar and license plate relocation. Just trying to figure out a way to support the rear of the tour-pak without keeping the original license plate bracket which also acts as the rear tour-pak support.

I think I am going to trim it out like mike_oh did. I wish someone made a custom tour-pak support bracket to take the place of the old license plate bracket.

This is what it looks like with the old license plate bracket installed (which is needed as a tour-pak support):

This is what it looks like when I remove the original tour-pak bracket. I like the looks but of course it causes the tour-pak to sag. I am trying to keep this look as much as possible without resorting to a detachable tour-pak:

Old 02-10-2014 | 03:11 PM
Lucky1.63
Cruiser

On my 2011 FLHTC I used these two kits. Completely bolt on.

53246-09A Tour Pack Disconnect Kit
53702-04A Tail Light Conversion Kit license plate relocation

Attached Thumbnails  Ultra Classic Licence Plate Options???-img_0073.jpg    Ultra Classic Licence Plate Options???-img_0075.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014 | 03:18 PM
Lucky1.63
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wesshipman
I understand that if I use the quick disconnect kit there won't be any tour-pak sag. I already did the street glide turn signal bar and license plate relocation. Just trying to figure out a way to support the rear of the tour-pak without keeping the original license plate bracket which also acts as the rear tour-pak support.

I think I am going to trim it out like mike_oh did. I wish someone made a custom tour-pak support bracket to take the place of the old license plate bracket.

This is what it looks like with the old license plate bracket installed (which is needed as a tour-pak support):

This is what it looks like when I remove the original tour-pak bracket. I like the looks but of course it causes the tour-pak to sag. I am trying to keep this look as much as possible without resorting to a detachable tour-pak:

If you could come up with some sort of link (similar to a tie rod or the like) that you put between the upper mounting bolt and the lower mounting bolts of the tour pack license plate bracket on each side it should stop the sagging. Something like rod ends with a tube cut to the right length.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...g/RODENDS.html

Pete

Last edited by Lucky1.63; 02-10-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic Licence Plate Options???