Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 FLHTCU Front Forks

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:10 PM
hogdvr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 FLHTCU Front Forks

Hi All,

I am the new owner of a 2006 FLHTCU. The previous owner had the bike lowered by the dealer approximately 1" front and rear. After checking with the dealer I verified that they installed springs and shocks according to HD recommended specs.

After getting the bike and riding it some, the ride felt like it was bottoming out at both ends. I added air to the shocks to bring it to 25 psi. That helped some at the rear. Not great -but better. I weigh 175#'s and my co-pilot weighs 110#'s, so there isn't a lot of weight on the suspension to speak of. :-)

The front end is where the real problem seems to beand where my question comes in. It feels like it can't even cope with the slightest bump or hole in the pavement. It seems to bottom at the slightest little thing. Now since this is my first HD I'm not sure how it's "supposed" to feel. That's why I'm asking. If it's "right" then I'll ride it like it is. If it's "wrong" then I'd like to fix it. I looked in my service manual (first thing I bought) and I couldn't find any reference to "user" forkadjustments.

Is there anything I can do short of going back to stock length springs to stiffen up the front end some to better absorb the bumps and holes and keep it from feeling like it's maxing out the front end travel?

Just as a reference,my riding backroundis crotch rockets, jap bikes, metric bikes, or whatever they're called today. Age will do that to a person after a while. Yes, I am a convert from the "darkside" and loving every minute of it!:-)

Any help I can get on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Also, I love the forum and all the great things I have already learned from all the great people who freely contribute both their time and expertise.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:52 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: '06 FLHTCU Front Forks

HD would recommend there 1" drop... If you're bottoming out.. You may be low on fork oil...
Dealer did mine and lost almost all its oil (leaked out) on one side in less then 30 days - They fixed it claimed a seal leak (?)

Old 05-11-2008, 07:53 AM
hogdvr
Cruiser

Just a follow up to my post. Took the bike into the dealer. They had one of the techs ride it for a diagnostic look see. Took about 3 minutes for him to determine that something was wrong. Going in Wednesday for a fork overhaul. New oil, seals, cleaning, and a good look over all the internals to make sure nothing else is wrong (springs, valves, etc.). They promised the bike back the same afternoon bringing it in at 9AM.

When I bought the used '06 the previous owner transfered over a three year ESP to me that was just about to kick in. I know some people don't see the value of the ESPbut lemme tell you that this bike had 1400 miles on it and was "like new" when I bought it. The fork and shock work was done by the dealer before delivery so was included in the warranty. Who would have expected something to be wrong? Certainly not me.

Bottom line: $50 covers it all no matter what they have to do to it. Parts, labor, etc.It should come out as good as new and "right" this time. So far I have to say I'm a happy camper with the way I've been treated by the local dealer AND I'm very happy that I have the ESP. At $78 per hour labor + 6% tax AND potential cost of parts I figure I just saved quite a bit. The job is quoted at 3-4 hours. So on that basis alone you can do the math.

I'll post the results of the service and see if I'm still happy AFTER. :-)

Old 05-15-2008, 10:02 AM
hogdvr
Cruiser

As promised here is my update AFTER dealer service which took 1/2 day. First off I have to say how nice everyone was at the service department. I couldn't have asked for a nicer experience! Top notch all the way.

The bottom line was the prior dealer who had set the bike up did not put enough oil in the forks and the seals were gone as well. So, they took it all apart, cleaned it all out, put in new seals, screamin' eagle oil, and it feels like a new bike. In addition, they ordered a new head unit for my stereo because the screen was starting to get discolored (black around the edges and fading). They said eventually it will go totally blank on me and I will need it. All of this for just the $50.00 ESP cost. AND, they didn't even want me to pay until the head unit came in and they were done with the completeservice order. Now I call that great trust, service, and treatment.

I know this doesn't reflect everyone's experience with local dealers but for what it's worth this is mine.