Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbulence and buffetting.... help me

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Turbulence and buffetting.... help me

ORIGINAL: TampaJim

I think the folks at Harley design their fairings and windshields forlooks rather than function. The windshields on all of the baggers are too far forward and too upright resulting in the air pocket collapsing right about where the driver sits. I have tried numerous shield combinations; tall, short, re-curve and laminar lip. You can make it better but the buffeting is still there.

As others have said, the other problem is with air comming up from the tank. Lowers make things too hot in my area. The best solution is to ride with your legs tight against the tank but that's not comfortable on a long haul.They could probably design a tank that would help the problem but then it wouldn't look like a proper Harley.
I disagree with the lowers being to hot.
I rode to Sturgis last year in the heat for 12 days. It was hot everywhere not just behind the lowers. The lowers funnel the wind over the engine, reducing engine heat. When you stop, get off, lowers or not, it will be hot.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:46 AM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had / have all 3 at one time or another. First was the fairing deflectors. Noticeable difference right away. Next was the fork air baffle (center)...really noticed alot of the tank updraft reduced. Last were the fork mounted air deflectors. They did reduce the wind...especially on my thighs and legs...but the front end would jerk around alotwhen meeting another vehicle, especially in gusty wind conditions. Ive been experimenting with removing first the fairing deflectors and then thefork deflectors. I put the fairing deflectors back on after just a short ride in the neighborhood. As of now, I feel the fairing deflectors and fork air baffle are the best combination....for ME anyway. Imgoing on a trip next week...will take the fork mounted deflectors (and a torx bit) with me. I'll see how the GF feels as we ride....her 'view' on the air updraft....put em on...take em off...and go from there. I have hi-way pegs....but rarely use them. The updraft is MUCH WORSE; the turbulance on my feet / legs is uncomfortable, as well as affecting control. Hard lowers MAY be in my future...but the Texas heat may have some 'input' on my decision...and what I've read about engine air flow / cooling.

I also had a 9 1/2" windshield on....I was ok...GF said she was getting beat to death. Went back to the 12'...her problem was solved....mine isnt any different except that I cant see over the shield in the rain. The 9 1/2" was right in the center of my eyeline...therefore more 'distortion' in my vision.....but I COULD stretch (uncomfortable doing that) andsee over it in the rain. As far as windshields...it's 6 one way....half dozen another way. I have both 1/2 helmet (with 1/2 shield) and a modular. Although a little warmer...the modular offers much better eye protection....ie my eyes dont dry out as bad....and my ears dont 'ache' after a long day in the wind. Down side is communication. I hear alot of "WHAT did you say???" from the GF....lol. (feeling an intercom expense coming on)

JMHO....

Billy G

Old 05-07-2008, 08:10 AM
malmax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a 05 classic. Had the lowers put on and what a difference. good luck and ride safe.