Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbulence and buffetting.... help me

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:19 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turbulence and buffetting.... help me

Are you wearing a helmet?

If so, have you tried a different one?

If not wearing a helmet then ignore this post.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:06 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It comes with the territory.The only time I think of it is when someone mentions it,other than that I never notice it,because of the fun factor.Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:43 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the very same problem ,i started off with a full face shoei RF-1000 helmet behind the 12" stock shield,i couldnt see over the top in the rain to well so i reduced down to the 9 1/2" windshield,my head shook so bad behind the fairing it would double my vision,I added the fairing air deflectors and the fork baffle,helped some but not awhole lot,changed over to a half helmet and it reduced the wind buffet by 75% of what i was getting,but still had some buffeting,try'd the chrome fork deflectors but as you said they gave a weird handling feeling,especially if it was windy out,those were short lived and i removed them,I saved up some coin and got the vented lowers,they did make enough of a difference and took away some more of the turbulance/buffeting.
I've just gotten used to the buffeting and it isnt all that bad now,what left now isnt coming from the front it's from the rear behind the fairing,there is a swirling air zone behind the fairing,I had a buddy of mine ride the bike he's got long hair and a long beard,what i saw as he rode by was his beard and hair was blowing forward towards the windshield, so i think it's safe to say it isnt air coming from the front of the bike,another thing i have noticed is this... I 'm a smoker,smoke while riding down the road sometimes ,when a ash falls off the cigg. it goes towards the windshield and just floats out in front of me in a air pocket right behind the windshield,until it just disappears out the side.
whats all this mean..................... absolutly nothing once i stopped thinking about this buffeting and just dealt with it,I seemed to enjoy the ride alot more. I for one wouldnt sell my bike over such a small issue,I enjoy it to much,It's part of the ride.

my $0.02

Old 05-04-2008, 07:18 AM
littlebear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many posts on this issue, I came from a 1200 sportster to a Roadglide and I think the buffeting is minor, but a clearview is on order. I sure do notice that a feet forward on road pegs gives me alot more wind than when i put them back on the passenger pegs in the jockey position.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:58 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: littlebear

So many posts on this issue, I came from a 1200 sportster to a Roadglide and I think the buffeting is minor, but a clearview is on order. I sure do notice that a feet forward on road pegs gives me alot more wind than when i put them back on the passenger pegs in the jockey position.
Putting your feet up on your pegs with lower fairings on has no impact on all increasing wind. Just nice relaxed smooth sailing.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:17 AM
shark2eatu
Intermediate

I get a lot of buffetting on the top of my helmet despite what helmet I wearing. It feels like it just shakes my helmet. If I slouch down it isn't so bad. I have an '07 RKC and I am 6'1". Any suggestions on size and type of windshield to use. I wonder if the recurve on the stock height would be enough. Help I don't want shaken baby syndrom!

Old 05-04-2008, 05:49 PM
BillyB
6th Gear

how the same problem with my 03 flhtp ,I ride with my feet on the hwy pegs all the time,Just picked up a set of soft lowers and has cut the buffetting out about 75% going to try the fairing wings next

Old 05-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting thread. I'm 6-4 with a 34" inseam so I sit pretty tall on the roadglide and the +2 Clearview helps a lot. It's still not perfect, but then it's a freakin motorcycle so what do I expect? I've toyed with the idea of soft lowers for inclement weather, but with the talk about hard lowers helping with buffeting I'm wondering if the soft lowers would offer the same advantage?

Old 05-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm willing to bet the 6" shield is 90% of your problem. I have an 8" with recurve for the summer months but I still get buffeting. Depending on how the wind is blowing that day My glasses will sometimes vibrate and drive me crazy.
My 12" shield is the best as far as protection goes. No buffeting! Of course it doesn't look as cool but if you are after funtion that is the way to go. It is a no brainer!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:48 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I rode a FLHT and had the same problem with a short windshield. I think it is a combination of the typehelmet,shorter windshield, and lack of lowers. Just have to find the rightcombination for your setup.

Quick Reply: Turbulence and buffetting.... help me