Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp Gauge Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 10:21 AM
THNDR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temp Gauge Question

Just had one installed (in fairing) and no matter how hard I ride, the oil temp gauge never registers more than 110 deg. Brought it to dealer (twice) and they said its working correctly. I find it hard to believe the oil is only at 110 degrees.

Who has one and what are you guys registering for operating temps?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Oil Temp Gauge Question

Change your sending unit to the hole alongside the drainplug.I had the same problem and took bike back to the dealer.They could never fix it,everything tested ok.Moved the sending unit per forum recommendations and it works fine.Do a search and you will find detailed instructions and adapter needed.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:09 AM
cowboyglide
Banned

Sounds like they installed the sending unit on the outlet side of the oil cooler. The thermostat on the oil cooler doesn't open up until
the oil reaches 185 degrees.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:23 AM
troutbum1971
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same problem here?

Old 05-03-2008, 11:25 AM
NoTyme
Cruiser

I installed mine several weeks ago but my reading has only barely gone over 170 twice. Air temp as only hit 75 degrees here, and I do run synthetic oil and has an air deflector between the forks so considering that I believe all of these variables have a bearing on the temp reading. I did install my sender in the pan next to the drain plug as many have done. Even the dealer said they would install it in the same place. I believe your oil cooler may have something to do with your reading.
J.M.O.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Change the sending unit location and it will work.I have the HD cooler and oil temp gauge and had same problem as stated above. Rode to Sturgis last year and gauge never moved,changed sending unit location and gauge has worked great since

Old 05-03-2008, 11:29 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I installed the MoCo Oil Temp gauge myself. I first installed the sensor sending unit in the oil pan and ran it this way for an entire season. Then a few weeks ago I got brave and installed the sensor sending unit in the oil feed line according to the MoCo instructions. I ride 20 miles one way to work and have experienced the same results as you have. You must take into consideration that it does take quite awhile for the motor to reach top end heat levels. Also factor in the fact that your temps will be different when riding at different air temps or if you are using synthetic oil(s). Here in New England (BTW I live about 30 mile from you) we are riding in cooler temps. During the summer months when the air temp is much higher you will see a noticable increase in your oil temp readings. Don't forget that many who post here don't ride in the various temps that we do[:@] and those air temps are a big factor. The bottom line is that throughout my first season with the oil temp gauge in the oil pan I registered temps from 110* to 220* plus. The sending unit in the oil pan is also subject to other factors such as air cooling the bottom of the oil pan where the sensor is installed and wet riding conditions where rain and standing water in puddles will cool the bottom of the oil pan and also the sensor itself. I will be monitoring it again this summer with the unit in the oil line. It's all relative to the ambient air temp. Don't beat yourself up over this. The oil temp gauge is just a visual indicator of your scoots operation. You will know when your scoot is overheating when you start to go into heat management mode.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/A2D2847F6495419382FA38EC5939C731.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/7C790B90C0494F6E86F63226E9357AB8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/B3B5065259A547BF9385A24F47BA6321.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-03-2008, 11:46 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Could it be that your thermostat is stuck open thats why you have such low readings? I put a temp guage in my evo softail. it always ran between 190@ 70-80 amb temp and up to 220+ in 90 degrees plus. I put in a cooler with a mechanicaal valve and the max temps were 190-210 in same ambients. If I opened the cooler in 70 degree temps or below, it would run 130 or so which was too cold.
I would suggest covering the cooler and ride to operating temp and see how it registers.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:07 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is in the pan. Here in Texas, my temps have run as high as 295deg. Since I remapped the ignition module, it hasn't gone over 275, but I will see come mid summer...I do plan on adding an oil cooler soon as well.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:25 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 24,691 Likes on 9,284 Posts

When ya install the sending unit in the oil pan, you will have to get an adapter from your local auto parts store that screws into the oil pan and then your sending unit screws into it.
I don't remember the size of the adapter. Maybe someone else on here can tell ya that. However, if ya tell the auto parts dude what you're doin, he's going to tell ya that you have to go to the Harley Davidson store for that part. Ya only have to tell him the size of the part and he will take ya to the brass bushings box just as if you were working on a Chevy.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp Gauge Question