Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Cleaners, what works best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006 | 02:04 AM
HD Renegade
|
Road Warrior
Default Air Cleaners, what works best?

I have read that a lot of people are using Stage 1 HD SC air cleaners. Is there a better way to go on this? I will be putting a set of T-rex true duals on, and the PCIII, and someone told me that I should be looking at some other options for a better air cleaner.

What kind of advice do you have on this?

Thanks

Bob

Old 02-19-2006 | 02:12 AM
William
Tourer
Default RE: Air Cleaners, what works best?

I personally like the high flow K & N filters...........
I got 10,000 miles on mine.............

Old 02-19-2006 | 03:34 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain

I have the K&N 3909.

K&N Engineering has been manufacturing air filters for over 30 years. The company uses an oil-impregnated, cotton-gauze filter element surrounded by a wire mesh. This design is superior to a paper element because it allows for superior airflow while maintaining effective air filtration. The cotton material lets air pass through it easily while trapping particles in the sticky, oil-covered fibers. This system works for up to 50,000 miles, at which point the filter is cleaned, re-oiled, and ready for another 50,000 miles

Old 02-19-2006 | 07:12 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HD Renegade

I have read that a lot of people are using Stage 1 HD SC air cleaners. Is there a better way to go on this? I will be putting a set of T-rex true duals on, and the PCIII, and someone told me that I should be looking at some other options for a better air cleaner.

What kind of advice do you have on this?

Thanks

Bob

Works best in which way. Keeping the engine from being ruined by airborn contaminants? Or by allowing it to breath better for increased performance?

Which best is the question. I perfer to have the performance, however at the cost of less engine protection is something that I'm very concerned over with a new bike. I have read several reviews of the K&N and have chose to stick with my stocker for just a while longer. I'm not sure as to how much actual protection the K&N really affords in light of the reviews.

Old 02-19-2006 | 09:21 AM
wnogood
Banned

Not claiming to be an expert here....but.....GENERALLY, paper elements offer better protection. Gauze elements offer better flow. The new SE air filters offer better flow than the stock filter, but are also made of a paper-type material ( non-gauze ) I'll let you make up your mind from there.....

Personally, I like the "Middle ground" that the SE filter has taken.....better flow.....without throwing engine protection out the window.....

nogood o~`o

Old 02-19-2006 | 09:52 AM
HD Renegade
|
Road Warrior

I am a user of K&N in other things. I have one in my truck, and in my 4-wheeler too. I thought that the HD SE filter was supposed to be K&N too, but I think that I read on here some where that they not longer use that filter. I am sort of surprised to hear that people do not care to use the K&N on their bike.

One of my friends told me to look in to one called Big Sucka, and that it will fill the stock air cleaner enclosure. Any one have any insight on this one?

Bob

Old 02-19-2006 | 10:23 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

SE, Ness Big Sucker, K&N, Kuryakyn, Doherty PowerPacc, Zippers, basically endless choices. The SE (paper) flows pretty well, keeps it all very clean inside, and is washable. Might give the K&N HD-0800 a try.

Old 02-19-2006 | 10:24 AM
Pauljr
Cruiser

I had a SE High Flow on my FLHTCI then a friend said I should try the Zippers new air filter,
gained almost 5 HP and torque. Wouldn't beleive it if I didn't see it for myself.

Old 02-19-2006 | 10:28 AM
HD Renegade
|
Road Warrior

Thanks BountyHunter, what are you running in yours?

Bob

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

SE, Ness Big Sucker, K&N, Kuryakyn, Doherty PowerPacc, Zippers, basically endless choices. The SE (paper) flows pretty well, keeps it all very clean inside, and is washable. Might give the K&N HD-0800 a try.

Old 02-19-2006 | 11:04 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member

Just like with other parts there are lots of choices, just look at the bigger picture and decide what you want to accomplish first. Are you after a certain look or performance. I used the Overflow filter under my stock football cover. I was seeking performance. There are also alot of cool looking covers that have a good filter. So figure out what you are trying to achieve first then decide what you want to spend.

http://www.bcheads.com/new.htm

Quick Reply: Air Cleaners, what works best?