Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First big road trip!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008 | 03:13 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: First big road trip!

One other thing - if you don't usually wear a helmet and/or eye protection, check the web for up to date helmet/eye protectionlaws in all of the states you'll be going through. There are lots of different requirement combinationsin different states (Meaning no disrespect of course, you probably already know this).

Anyway, ya'll stay safe & have a blast!

John

Old 05-03-2008 | 09:20 PM
CREEPSHOW
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jpooch00

One other thing - if you don't usually wear a helmet and/or eye protection, check the web for up to date helmet/eye protectionlaws in all of the states you'll be going through. There are lots of different requirement combinationsin different states (Meaning no disrespect of course, you probably already know this).

Anyway, ya'll stay safe & have a blast!

John
Yeah, I am going from Iowa up around Nebraska and along the bottom of South Dakota and over to the Hills. Going to check out Mt. Rushmoor, Deadwood, Wall Drug, and anything else I can. The woman wants to go zip lining if they do that there?? I will be sure to take pictures! If the bike isn't in them, you weren't there, right

Old 05-03-2008 | 11:07 PM
rgcruzr
6th Gear

Went out to the Black Hills late last June. Get ready for one great ride. FYI.. Very windy going across SD. Keep up with the liquids. The winds will suck you dry.

Old 05-03-2008 | 11:34 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

Valley of fire!!! Grand Canyon, Vegas Oh thats where I am going later in the summer OH and the Hoover Dam

Old 05-04-2008 | 12:18 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

You'll have a blast Creep.

Klock Werks is in Mitchell, SD so you may want to plan a route through there. The Badlands are also supposed to be a great ride. Rushmore is pretty impressive, but Crazy Horse will stop you in your tracks. Don't waste you money on the bus ride though. I spent almost a whole day walking around Deadwood. Very cool little town. You should also try to get out to Devils Tower while you're there. Grab an ice cream cone at the store and just stare at that rock for a while. It's pretty cool.

I want to get back out there really bad. I'm trying to go to Sturgis again this year, but I also wouldn't mind going early like you are. The crowds get on my nerves after a while.

Have a blast.
Zach

Old 05-04-2008 | 12:26 AM
CREEPSHOW
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

Klock Werks is in Mitchell. The Badlands are also supposed to be a great ride. Rushmore is pretty impressive, but Crazy Horse will stop you in your tracks.
Will do! Thanks, Zach. Anyone live out this way? Never know if you will need a wrench or a cold frosty on the way?

Old 05-04-2008 | 12:30 AM
BROWNDOG
Cruiser

Since you are coming up from Nebraska you definately need to ride through the badlands. There ain't no way to describe it. Awesome!! Also, head up through Spearfish Canyon. Beautuful! I haven't been to Sturgis for a few years but there used to be a resturant on Main called Bob's Family Resturant. Their motto was "eat 'till you can't walk" and they had great food.

Old 05-04-2008 | 12:45 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior

The only problem with taking trips like this, is that they become addictive. After that first one, you just keep watching the calendar waiting for the next one.

You're going to have a great time. Make time to take lots of pictures.

G-

Old 05-04-2008 | 12:45 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

Have a great trip! Nothing like taking off with the woman and riding free with no fixed agenda.

Old 05-04-2008 | 06:23 AM
Wolfie40
Cruiser

Check out Custer State Park, go early in the morning so you can see all the animals. I would also take Needles highway..
Have a Great trip..

Quick Reply: First big road trip!