Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A sign of heat...normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Bluerose
Default A sign of heat...normal?

The only real complaint I have had so far with the heat on the '08 is that the back of my right calf gets toasty. Everyone keeps telling me they don't have that problem and I'm weird. May be true but....

The rear section of the chrome football a/c cover is showing signs of heat...it is discolored with a milky film. Is that normal? I have a stage 1 but I have not changed the pipes or added slip-ons.

Never saw that on my '06 Deluxe with stage 1.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:43 PM
quackhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A sign of heat...normal?

my legs got real hot on my SG too but with all the emissions BS i doubt its gonna get much better. i just put SERT on it and it seemed to cool it down some.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't had any real warm weather to ride in yet, but have noticed some warmth on the back of my right thigh....I ordered RJs heat shields earlier this week as I suspect when it gets hot out this will be much more noticeable. Have not seen any discoloration of the A/C cover. What part of the stage-1 have you done? Just the air cleaner? I did the V&H slip-ons SE air cleaner and SERT on mine, plus I put the oil cooler on, but I suspect the heat shields are still going to come in handy.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Bluerose

I did the a/c and the download....I also have RJ Originals.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:51 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

The only real complaint I have had so far with the heat on the '08 is that the back of my right calf gets toasty. Everyone keeps telling me they don't have that problem and I'm weird. May be true but....

The rear section of the chrome football a/c cover is showing signs of heat...it is discolored with a milky film. Is that normal? I have a stage 1 but I have not changed the pipes or added slip-ons.

Never saw that on my '06 Deluxe with stage 1.
I've done a similar "upgrade" on the bikes, going from a Heritage to an Ultra. There is definitely more heat, despite doing the Stage 1 upgrade. I got the bike dyno'd, which helped, and then had to install RJ's heatshields (you'll find him here on the site) in order to keep my thighs from frying in the middle of summer while stopped at a light. They look good and they work!

As to the issue on the A/C cover, not sure what that is about. Sounds like it may be a defect in the finish of the chrome.

BTW -- great sig. pix!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
ultrarod
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the stage 1, oil cooler and V&H slip on's.......bike is still way to hot. I have ordered the resisters for the 02 sensors and hope that helps. I didnt really want to spend the money on a power commander if I didnt have too.......

Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Bluerose

Hmmmmm.....maybe I'll run over to the dealer at lunch ad ask some questions. Want to go look at rain gear anyway.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the milky discoloration..........Start bike and hold plain piece of paper losely between rear cylinder and A/C cover.....see if it flutters...you might have head gasket leak.

I noticed same discoloration on my sporty chrome engine case and discovered an exhaust leak that I could not hear.

Congrats on the '08!....I hope you wear it out!

Old 05-02-2008, 01:09 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,847 Posts

The back of my horn gets a milky film on it after riding for a while. I just keep wiping it clean

Old 05-02-2008, 01:13 PM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

if they say thereNEW TC96 INCH HD mcy is not hot.. THEY ARE LIEING !

Quick Reply: A sign of heat...normal?