Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A sign of heat...normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: A sign of heat...normal?

Trying to keep my warrenty intact for the first 2 years then I'll consider the SERT or PCIII. My dealer is very adiment about not puttingfuel managementon and that it will void the warrenty. Yes I know all the stuff about the warrenty acts but I have to deal with them regularly so for now I'm not gonna rock the boat.

If I have no issues by the end of year 2 I will cancel my extended warrenty as well.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My '08 used to be HOT! I would ride, even in the 70's and the butt of my jeans would be soaked when I got off the bike. We got RJ's shields, which masked most of it, but it was still hot. My wife and I knew we had to do something before the summer hit here in the CSRA.

It now has a Stage I, Rinehart True Duals, a set of Andrews 26A cams and a dyno tune (thanks, Doc!) and it is as cool as any Harley I have ever ridden. Plus, it now puts out 84 hp and 93 tq, which is nice.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:11 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ultrarod,

Fuel management ain't something to be scared of......If you are sitting in front of a PC and active on this site, then you can manage your own fuel injection modification.....it ain't like wrenching on a carbed bike where you go in and swap jets....(once you install a fuel management device-which takes about 10-30 minutes)If you have access to a laptop and can remove your saddle bag and right side cover, then you are almost there....You are only a simple USB cable connection away from remapping your bike....and remapping is tons mobetter than swapping jets anyday cause jets are a fixed diameter orifice whereas remapping allows you to tweek the whole spectrum....Yeah, there is a certain learning cure, but you arealmost there already.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:14 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bluerose,

By the time our warrantys expire all HD's will be watercooled.......This whole discussion will be mute

Old 05-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ultrarod

Where did you get your sert ?
Its a Harley product, should be able to order it through your dealer or online, just make sure you get the right one for your model year. I went with the SERT because I didn't want to mess around with mapping and guessing if I had it mapped right. My dealer installed the SERT and then dyno tuned it. This spring I noticed my milage was way down, so they took it back in and retuned it on the dyno....I'm up to about 39 mpg now and still have the power I wanted.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
ultrarod
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks........I would consider myself mechanically inclined.......worked on pleanty of cars and I know enough to use a computer so maybe I will give it a try. I was looking at the Vance and Hines powerpac.........any thoughts ? and will that work with the o2 eleminators ?

Old 05-02-2008, 02:28 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

The only real complaint I have had so far with the heat on the '08 is that the back of my right calf gets toasty. Everyone keeps telling me they don't have that problem and I'm weird. May be true but....

The rear section of the chrome football a/c cover is showing signs of heat...it is discolored with a milky film. Is that normal? I have a stage 1 but I have not changed the pipes or added slip-ons.

Never saw that on my '06 Deluxe with stage 1.
Wow.

My first thought.

"You got to spread em' wider baby"

But you can't really compare your bagger to your Deluxe. Different engines and exhaust setup.

Like others have said. Look for an exhaust leak. And if my dealer tried any bull about warrenty and fuel management, I would tell them to fold it and stuff it.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:33 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think my 06 is hot, so I don't think I'm gonna try out a 08. I changed pipes and put a PCIII on it and I don't really feel like it's done much for the heat issue. I've also got that heat management download that shuts down the rear cyclinder when it gets too hot while idling. Not a big fan of that crap either, the only times I've had it kick on is when sitting in heavy traffic but it usually cause a stall when I try to get moving again.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:37 PM
jack49
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BlueRose

LOL If you let the bike run that hot for the next two years, you're
probaly going to need the extended warrenty. Cooled my bike off
with a stage one, with SERT and dyno. Dealer has no warrenty problems
with this set up.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Mississippi Bagger