Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance Point on Lift?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Balance Point on Lift?????

ORIGINAL: RD GLD

I appreciate all answers and do realize that all the jacks are a little different. I will have to experiment a bit. Thanks. Also, when you lift it and it comes off the jiffy stand, does it drop hard onto the right side of the frame or do you hold the bike upright off the jiffy to hoist?

I lift from the right side of the bike, with the bike on the jiffy stand. My lift slides right under, once in position I start jacking slowly and the bike just slowly tips to the right, once the right frame rail is settled I can jack it up as fast as I want..

Old 05-02-2008, 02:45 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice thang about the J&S jack is you simply leave jiffy stand down-slide jack under from carb side-place in location I described above, then start pumping......jiffy stand never needs to be considered as it is never in way of jack.

The only time you need to worry about jiffy stand is when you lower bike......make sure to return it to the down position and then then lightly grip right handlebar as jack settles bike down...bike will automaticallyease over on stand as it lowers.

My only concern with J&S jack is bike rolls around too easily once on jack.......you need to remember to use floor jam screws if floor is even slightly off level or it will roll away from you.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Scootr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

Nice thang about the J&S jack is you simply leave jiffy stand down-slide jack under from carb side-place in location I described above, then start pumping......jiffy stand never needs to be considered as it is never in way of jack.

The only time you need to worry about jiffy stand is when you lower bike......make sure to return it to the down position and then then lightly grip right handlebar as jack settles bike down...bike will automaticallyease over on stand as it lowers.

My only concern with J&S jack is bike rolls around too easily once on jack.......you need to remember to use floor jam screws if floor is even slightly off level or it will roll away from you.
+1 For both or your posts YodaddyKeith. J&S sure makes life easy.

Just like said by YodaddyKeith I put the rear support in the dogbone support of the bike and lift away. Works fine whether tourpak is on or off.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dogbone works for me.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:35 PM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, thanks for all the info...I will give it a whirl Sunday..

Old 05-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Thunderchild
Cruiser

i have a Sears jack. i usually put the rear arm right on the cross member...

for those of you that have a Sears jack...when you lift the bike, does it teeter from front to back?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's what the Sears jack does. Don't worry, it won't fall

Old 05-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Mad Man
Intermediate

I put my floor jack right in the crossmember when using it to clean wheels and such... Otherwise it goes up on my table lift!!!

Old 05-03-2008, 10:52 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Does lifting on the dog bone cause bending? Some of the center stand sales sites mention needing to straighten bent dog bones before installing their center stands.

I just installed a new rear wheel, and lifted with the jack installed just forward of the dog bone. As others mentioned, the front tire lifted first, but I thought that was good, as I was removing the rear wheel, and the weight would shift forward. I was pleasantly surprised when there was no problem at all. I just have a "Big Red" 1500 lb lift bought through JC Whitney several years ago to work on my Tridents. The lift arms are just barely wide enough for a Harley frame.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:48 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My jack is wide enough so the dog bone does not take the weight. The frames tubes take it.

Quick Reply: Balance Point on Lift?????