Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King as a nice custom bike for weekend rides (minus bags, 'shield)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road King as a nice custom bike for weekend rides (minus bags, 'shield)

Quick question... I'm planning on keeping my Sportster as a daily driver and commuter beast, but I'm also planning on getting a bike for distance trips. Part of me also wants something nice for those weekend group rides and the like as well, a nice, custom bike that looks good and is fun to ride, but isn't the same commuter bike that I use every day, if you know what I mean. Something I'm not racking 1500 miles a month on just going to work.

So the question becomes this: How hard is it to take a RKC or the like, remove the bags, windshield, sissy bar, and make it into a more around-the-town bike, and then convert it back later? And how good of a fun around town on those nice days bike does a RKC make?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:22 AM
higlet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Road King as a nice custom bike for weekend rides (minus bags, 'shield)

It's real easy.

Get a 2 piece seat (or not) and just use the driver saddle for when you are solo. The backrest pops right off, the back seat is held on with one screw. The bags come off with the twist of 2 retaining pins. Though the rear end without the bags isn't that attractive IMO. It's not all gussied up for nakedness. The windshields pop right off to. It takes me about 5 minutes to switch everything around from work commuter (1 seat, windshield) to with wife cruiser (backseat, backrest, no windshield)

Old 05-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts
Default RE: Road King as a nice custom bike for weekend rides (minus bags, 'shield)

Piece of cake, but the RK looks good with its bags as a solo ride!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:29 AM
MarkandMary
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your going to be cruisin with the gang, you may want to keep the bags on. The bike is fairly unattractive without them as it would cost a small fortune to make it look presentable without the bags. I ride with a bunch of folks who keep them on as a daily driver and cruisin on the weekends. It is great to have them if you come across something you want to buy, just toss it in the bags!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:32 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

I would bet that once you get a little taste of those bags, you won't be interested in taking them off and leaving your stuff behind!!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all right, I may keep the bags (heck, storage for the win!). How do they ride for twisties and the like?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

need to add a TWR stabilizer to REALLY get on it in the twisties! I know, I live in the mountains and it will wobble when pushed hard in the corners.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the other posts here. Just taking off the windshield makes the bike look completely different. MY wife didn't want me to get a RK just because of the windshield. Had the salesperson takethe windshield off another RKC without her knowledge and when we saw it she said get the paperwork started. Imo the bike looks like horible w/o the bags, then again I never ride without them.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:37 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: gs34doc

I would bet that once you get a little taste of those bags, you won't be interested in taking them off and leaving your stuff behind!!
[sm=happybounce.gif]
Same goes for the windshield. Occasionally I'll ride withoutthe wind screen just for a different look. Within 5 minutes I'm thinking why'd I do that. Every time. As for the bags, the only time I take them off is when I'm heading up to the station to put air in the tires. Bike runs and handles great and with a lowered rear, low profile seat and no backrest the bike looks slammed. Mines a custom though. It's way better than the classic.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:48 PM
pwp
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the same opinion as Ken about the windshield: I'll occasionally remove it, but usually I ride with it. (Gotta say though, that I do love the LOOK of it without the screen.) But we may have to "agree to disagree" about the Custom verses the Classic though! Heheh.

Quick Reply: Road King as a nice custom bike for weekend rides (minus bags, 'shield)