Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler confusion

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 09:59 PM
rmacnh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler confusion

Now I am confused... I purchased an o6 EG Classic and asked about SE Mufflers. They sold me part #64903-99 from the SE book they say for race application only. I searched other posts and people ask about SE touring mufflers and the ones I got say performance.. I also heard that they are not selling them for road bikes anymore. I don't want EXTERMELY LOUD racing pipes, just some performance with a little extra sound and I want to here my radio. Truth is I have no idea what the bike sounds like stock.
Now my question, does anyone know how loud the SE one peice perfromance muffler is? How is the stock sound?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Rick

Old 02-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Muffler confusion

Rick,

You got the good pipes and don't worry, you can still hear your radio. They are less restrictive than Harley's other mufflers and you will get better performance. They aren't stopping sales of SE mufflers until Memorial Day and that's only because of EPA regulations. I think you will like them.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:21 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The touring mufflers are part# 65259-00, you will need end caps. Some folks call them "SE Touring" mufflers because they come stock on the SE motorcycles.

The SE performance mufflers are loud. The Touring mufflers are a little louder than stock, quieter than the SE pipes. They are quiet with a deep rumble at idle and nice sound on the road. Not loud at all.

I now have the touring mufflers on my bike after installing both SE one piece performance, V&H and Bub mufflers.

I like the touring mufflers and won't be changing back.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Old 02-18-2006, 10:28 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

the part# you show is not the se muffler. there are 3 different harley mufflers. the se two piece which you buy separate end caps for and have a button screw that holds the end cap on. These are harleys best and loudest performance muffler. I have them on my bike. then there are the touring mufflers which are also 2 piece with separate end caps and are held on by a flush mount screw and are almost no louder than stock. then there are the one piece se slash cut muffler and the one piece slash cut hd performance muffler. the latest is the se computer muffler system about 700.00. it is hard to get the se two piece anymore because harley has stopped making them and once the dealer is sold out thats it.It has a b in the part#.I n fact the part#for the SE Slip on muffler is 65115-98B. you can find it in the se performance catalogue for 04 and earlier. it is not in the 05. hope this helps. since you dont want too loud s&s slip ons are very good. Kerkers are the same as the se. They make them for harley. Kerker is now part of supertrappe.Everything else is pretty loud. Touring mufflers are pretty quiet.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:33 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to disagree with the above statement. I had the 1 piece pipes you are getting and they aren't that loud. They are louder then the 2 piece but with that being said depending on what caps you get is depending on what sound you get. I hated the sound of the 2 piece they gave off a hushing sound.

I loved the 1 piece pipes and could even listen to my passenger/radio while cruising at 80mph.

The ONLY reason I changed them is because I REALLY love the Oval look of the V&H's and can only hope they sound as good as the 1 piece from HD or better.

If your not sure about the sound hit up the dealers and find a bike that has them already installed and ask to listen to them. They will sound better cruising down the road then sitting there reving the **** out of them. If it's the dealers bike ask to take it for a quick spin.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Topper
Road Captain

With Mack on this one, I currently run 65115-98B on my 06 and really love the sound for the $$$. Great dyno numbers as well. I can hear my radio fine cruising, kind of tough while running through the gears though.

Very deep sound and a nice bark when backing off the throttle.

GL

Old 02-18-2006, 10:44 PM
rmacnh
Advanced

The part number I gave is out of the 2006 SE Pro Racing Parts cat. Pg87 Pit. B One peice slash down. It states "for race application only" that is what concerns me. I found the touring mufflers in the big catalog that SteveO mentioned...will those need the stage 1 kit?
Thanks

Old 02-19-2006, 12:18 AM
Nomad2day
Cruiser

rmacnh,
I have SE one piece slash cut #64903-99 mufflers on my 06 RK Custom and love them. They are not too loud and a very good performance muffler. They do not have ends that you have to buy but are slash cut. Mine are slash down .They do say for race only on them but you find that you like them. I do not have a stereo on my bike but I think you will be able to hear it fine. I have a stage 1 upgrade on mine. The pipes are not on my bike in my pic but I will post some up soon.
Neil in Tenn