Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Coat Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:02 AM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Clear Coat Scratches

Wholeheartedly agree with the apparent product of choice -- Meguiar's. Also, method of application is important. With dark paint, do not apply or buff in circular motion, but rather with straight strokes. It keeps the blemishes to a minimum. And the use of microfiber towels for application and buffing is better than cotton -- which, in itself is somewhat abrasive. AND, if the product has been sitting on the shelf for some time, it may have dried out slightly in the nose of the tube. Squeeze that off (about 1/4") and don't use that as it is too dry and concentrated -- could cause hairline scratches itself. Finally, better to lightly apply the Scratch-X several times and buff off rather than one time and rub hard. Same thing with follow up glaze and wax.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:11 PM
MDMYMD
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man thats terrible about the shop washing your bike, they probably mean well though. I had that fear when I dropped this bike (scary phrase, huh?) at the dealership for service. I asked them not to wash the bike and they had no problem with that. I also use Meguiars products and have found them to work well. I have rich sunglo blue paint and scratches are inevitable and really unpreventable. But gently waxing does reduce the swirls and light scratches.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:25 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is real good
ORIGINAL: liltrk

I like Meguiar's scratch X.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:38 AM
jerry2005dyna
Novice

ORIGINAL: roadking_57

Anyone who has a dark paint job knows that you'll get scratches in the clear coat no matter how careful you are. My latest scooter (02 Road King bought new) had minimal clear coat scrathes until I brought it to the dealer to get re-shod with new rubber last fall Turns out the freaks washed the enire bike after the service....,probably with rags that were used on numerous bikes before mine....well you can figure out the results. Anyway, was wanting to hear about experiences anyone has had with various products to eliminate or at least mask the effects of scrathes in clear coat. I alwasy use good old baby diapers to wash the bike which minimizes new scratches but want to hide or eliminate scrathes that are already on the surface
if the scratches are more like swirls and not deep scratches, I have had a lot of luck with a product ... Eagle, Eagle Brand?? called Nano wax, it is clear spray so you can spray it over and wax wipe off without those crap white lines left behind by a lot of waxes and surface treatments

Old 01-06-2007, 12:04 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using the Harley stuff with good results but just bought the Zaino system. I'll see how that works out.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:11 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

ORIGINAL: BladeMan
Painter mached it pretty good, nobody but me knew it.
And now us

Old 01-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Road Glider
Tourer

S100 Shine-enhancing Cleanser...works great!!!

Old 01-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

for me and my limited experience, the HD stuff was horrible

ORIGINAL: MACK

harley makes an excellent product. see dealer as i cannot think of the name but it is a harley product.You can also find it in the maintenance section of the parts and accessories catalogue.may be called scratch and swirl remover.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:50 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seen someone talked about windshields and bugs. I use lemon pledge and ensure i get the bugs good and wet with it. using a micro-fiber cloth, they come right off. but i had some small scratches in the windshield before I got smart and used the lemon pledge. has anyone used any of the stuff that HD sells for small scratches on the lexon windshield?

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/3FBD97B9BAC44D88B7D5A9B468D30143.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Happy_dan
Advanced

This can actually be a very long post and I had written a long response but then I figured you would be sleeping before you go through it. So here is a quicker answer. Please email me if you have more questions. abbene@gmail.com

3M Swirl remover is the best stuff I have used. I have done some auto detailing and I own a black Camaro SS and my bike is Black Pearl.

For what you described this 3M and a good orbital buffer will take those swirl marks right out.
Here is a picture of the side of my car just to give you an idea.

I use a product called Zaino for the final polish.

Quick Reply: Clear Coat Scratches