Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best cell phone carrier for traveling????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Best cell phone carrier for traveling????

ORIGINAL: Motown_HOG

ORIGINAL: Windup08

If you are planning on traveling out west Verizon has by far the best coverage.
Not true! AT&T has the best coverage if you compare actual coverage miles. I know because when I moved to California I had to switch service twice! Went from Verizon which was okay (but few dropped calls every day on my way home), to T-Mobile (absolutely HORRIBLE!), to AT&T which never lets me down.
Guess it depends on where you live. I've had some really bad luck with AT&T in So. Cal.

Sometimes it has to do with the phone too....my first first Verizon phone (a motorola) had crappy reception.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm with Verizon. So far, so good. No real problems when traveling.

Ride safe,

John

Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Jacket4256
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love my verizon best serivce of both imo

Old 05-01-2008, 05:32 PM
supermario1
Cruiser

verizon is the best. I've had nextel and at&t . i've used it out west and up north sledn. awesome coverage

Old 05-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

I was gonna say my pocket, but then I read the thread. I have a Virgin Mobile pay as you go. I believe it uses the sprint network, not sure though. Works well throughout the Southeast and whenever the OL travels for her job she always uses it. Been around the country, mostly around metro areas, never had a problem. If you don't want the contracts or bills, it's great. Costs me about $10 a month.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:14 PM
bike_r_trash
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had good luck with Verizon when travel around the country. My buddy didn't have any complaints with his service from ATT. I think we both lost service generally in the same places.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM
ronn39
Road Master

Rode all over the area around Deals Gap, NC with four other guys. The only one of us who had consistently good connection was the guy with Verizon.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I like Verizon, they have never let me down. They never claim to be the cheapest but they always get high marks in customer service. One year there was a phone I wanted really REALLY bad (I'm spoiled, spending a long time in a patrol car I like good phones) anyway, my wife called and set it up with the store we have always gone to, to have a cake and coffee waiting for me as they opened the store an hour early. My wife and kids woke me up, blind folded me and took me to the store. The phone was waiting for me and we all had cake and coffee, not the kids, they had juice.
On a serious note though, after hurricane Charlie came through I did not lose service. People were using my phone to call their loved ones to tell them they were OK. The local S.O. even had to announce over the radio for all the deputies to reset their phones, they were using Nextel. While the hurricane was coming towards south Florida, I was able to check weather radars out of Miami and Key West on my phone to see the feeder bands coming.
Verizon now has VZ Navigator on some of their phones, it is basically a GPS in your phone, it will give you turn by turn instructions to your destination. It has a "Where I am" feature that will locate where you are. You can look up local movie and events where ever you are. Weather and traffic info where ever you are. Also a real cool feature that will do a search in the area you are in for whatever you are looking for, type in Outback and it will tell you how far a way it is and how to get there.
I currently have the Voyager and love it. Whichever phone you go with I would recommend Verizon

Old 05-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As mentioned, any carrier works in the big cities and along the hiways. One of the reasons Verizon works so well is that it is not only digital, but in many areas, it can fall back to an analog signal as well. ATT is digital only (GSM) and while it works great in Europe when you take your phone, it mau not work well in Resume Speed, Iowa. Analog signals spread over a MUCH farther area than digital, hence the better ability to get a call thru. If you don't want a contract, buy a phone on eBay cheap and just get a month to month service plan, that way you avoid a the subsidized phone costs. If you choose not to use Verizon, get a plan with a local carrier that still uses the CDMA type service in addition to digital, for the most part, it will let you 'roam' on another carriers network. Sure, you will pay thru the nose for a call when roaming, but hey, whats a dollar a minute when you are stranded?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:11 PM
07BlkCherryUltra
Cruiser

Verizon has been aces for me up and down the east coast. I also got the navigation which gives me maps and directions right to the phone for about $10 additional monthly.

Quick Reply: Best cell phone carrier for traveling????