Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer wiring harnass

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Crazier Steve
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer wiring harnass

Hey guys,
You have really helped me out since I have been a member of this forum. I need your help again. What kind of wiring harness do I need for a plug and play setup for my trailer. I prefer not to cut into the wires if I can help it. I want something I can plug in under the seat and then wire it from there. I have an 08 Ultra Classic and what a machine it is. I have ridden Goldwings for years, but was amazed at how smooth and solid my Ultra is. I guess I finally got smart and got a real bike. If you can help me out, that would be great. I have looked in J&P, Dennis Kirk, and cannot find anything where you don't have to cut the wires. Ride Safe, but ride all you can! Steve

Old 04-30-2008, 11:57 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: trailer wiring harnass

i got the harness with isolator from Bushtec and didn't cut any wires. while not exactly plug and play, you just splice it in using the supplied connectors.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/F2DA6064001B490EBBE3FC46D3EFF208.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

+1 on the Bushtec wirin' system....

Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also got my harness and isolator from Bushtec also, but then I got this from JP Cycle to plug into the bike's harness and avoid any work on the bikes wiring. http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...ley&page=1

It just plugs into the harness that goes to the rear of the bike. Then I also added a battery tender type pigtail onto the battery and another on the wiring harness so I can easily unplug both when I'm not using the trailer.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

WHOA, dude - with that JP unit, yer runnin' that trailer straight off the bike's wire harness. That means if ya EVER have a problem with the trailer electrical, it could take out yer main harness.

NOT a good idea in mah book!!![:'(]

Old 04-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

WHOA, dude - with that JP unit, yer runnin' that trailer straight off the bike's wire harness. That means if ya EVER have a problem with the trailer electrical, it could take out yer main harness.

NOT a good idea in mah book!!![:'(]
No, I'm just getting the signal from the bike's wiring harness with the JP Cycle unit....that wires into the the Bushtec isolator relay, then the wires out of the isolator goes to the trailer....just like when you tap into the bike harness using the connectors Bushtec sends out with their harness.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 PM
HOGinit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put another in the Bushtec with Isolator column. The only thing that I can add is don't use the connectors that Bushtec sends, solder, tape and heat shrink. Other wise follow the instructions that bushtec sends out. The wiring harness for the brake, tail and turn indicators is right in front of the seat brace at the front of the rear fender. Otherwise it is a piece of cake. I am not familiar with the J n P connectors but I don't know why you would need em the Bushtec harness is straight forward simple and lets face it, if n Ah kin do it any one kin in half the time.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HOGinit

Put another in the Bushtec with Isolator column. The only thing that I can add is don't use the connectors that Bushtec sends, solder, tape and heat shrink. Other wise follow the instructions that bushtec sends out. The wiring harness for the brake, tail and turn indicators is right in front of the seat brace at the front of the rear fender. Otherwise it is a piece of cake. I am not familiar with the J n P connectors but I don't know why you would need em the Bushtec harness is straight forward simple and lets face it, if n Ah kin do it any one kin in half the time.
The only reason I used the JP Cycle connector was to give me a place to get the signal for the lights without actually having to cut or splice into the actual bike wiring harness. If you cut, solder, heat shrink directly on to the bike wiring harness you trailer wiring is permanently attached to you bike. with the JP Cycle do-hicky all you have to do is unplug that piece, and disconnect your power leads to the Bushtec isolator (that's why I put battery tender type power plugs on), then reconnect the 2 ends of the wiring harness and you can totally remove your trailer harness. I only pull my trailer once or twice a year....I didn't want the trailer harness tied onto my bike all the rest of the time when I have no need for it.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:24 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Ah, ah got ya Windup! Thanks for the clarification. Fer me, it'd be senseless, since as the shop mechanic noted earlier this week: "You've got more wiring in there than HD does!"- so splicin' an' solderin' into a line ain't a biggie to me - but I can see whar it's a challenge for others (kinda lahk me tryin' ta reformat a hard drive, y'know?).

Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

Ah, ah got ya Windup! Thanks for the clarification. Fer me, it'd be senseless, since as the shop mechanic noted earlier this week: "You've got more wiring in there than HD does!"- so splicin' an' solderin' into a line ain't a biggie to me - but I can see whar it's a challenge for others (kinda lahk me tryin' ta reformat a hard drive, y'know?).

I kinda figured it was just a misunderstanding. Another advantage to using the JP Cycle plug is that I could do all of my splicing/soldering on my work bench instead of right in the heart of my bike. I installed the harness permanently on 2 previous bikes and always thought that there ought to be some way to make it easy to remove so I didn't have to see that wiring harness hanging on the bike all the time....so I decided to design it a little differently this time.