Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip-ons without SERT

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Dogmann
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slip-ons without SERT

Can I do Exhaust Slipons on a 2007 FLHTP-I & not do the SERT?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Rob2002
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slip-ons without SERT

I did. 06 EGC with a set of B&E slip on's. Sounds great.
There are some who will say no but if you don't do anything to the AC, you really don't change much.
I kept my old stock slip on's for warranty purposes.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

I think some dealers will tell you you can. Personally I would recommend some type of fuel management device (PC111,Fuel Pac,DFO,etc.)even if I was doing nothing else. The bikes run way to lean just to satisfy the EPA. Can't be good for the engine.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 AM
TMART
Road Master

I e-mailed Rinehart and asked them that same question,they said no problem at keeping it stock and running the slip ons.Just my 2 cents
Terry

Old 04-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes you can. You will have others say yes ....... but.......but the real answer is yes !!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

like i did?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

yes!!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a thought, but in my years, I have learned to take a lot of the advice from the parts vendors with a grain of salt. Let me give you my latest example I'm trying to figure out. I saw the IEDs on here and since I've always ridden older HD, I started doing some research. The IEDs change the AFR from 14.7:1 to 14.2:1, richening the mixture, a good thing in these lean engines. I called Nightrider and asked them what benefit I would gain adding their sensors with a fuel management system. They said absolutely, I should do it. Now, when I talk to the fuel management guys, they tell me their device overrides the IED to give an even richer mix and to save my money. So, now I need to do a little more investigating to understand. My point is, if Rinehart says it's ok, and ten or so people here say it's ok, maybe it is.But, if it leans out your system anymore than it is stock, send us pictures of the holes in the pistons and let us know. My understanding is, if you do an air cleaner or an exhaust upgrade, and you only do one, you should be ok. In your case, no more air in, just a larger air outlet, you should be ok. SHOULD BE!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:17 AM
winston chopper
Tourer

thats exactly what I am trying to find out. What afr does a fuel managment system give you. Better than 14.2:1 . I am looking at nightrider and a couple other alternatives but i have V&H ovals slip ons and it runs great. I have heard slip on will lean it out even more? I am trying to get to thje bottom of this.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:24 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I think the IEDs are the way to go, especially if you're all stock. If I wasn't changing my exhaust or air, I would put them in to get a richer mix, these puppies are WAY to lean for me. My pipes on my shovel don't turn color at all, from the heads down and it runs real, real well. Now I've got his multi-colored heat rainbow on my front pipe that needs to be covered with the $79 HD extension shield. The thing is, if I don't need to spend money on both, I don't want to. Plus, being new to the new technology, seems to me the words "fuel management" means just that, managing how much fuel goes to my engine at any given time. On the bright side, some of the AFR veterans will probably help us out.

Quick Reply: Slip-ons without SERT