Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corbin Seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Dark Side
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corbin Seats

Okay let me start this by saying I have searched this and many other postings. I am currently on a Street Glide and love it. The stock seat needs to be replaced. choice is between a Corbin and Mustang. Had a Corbin on a previous Fat Boy and it was hard. Not only to start with but stayed hard. After a broke in period rode from San Antonio to DC (for Rolling Thunder) it was just never comfortable. I think the seats look great and hold up well.

So here is the question. I am looking for a little bit better description of the Corbin seat. Something about form, fit, function etc. Not just "Great seat". The more details the better. I do understand that I went from a Softail, on a very long ride, to now a bagger. Got a tax refund burning a hole in my pocket. Appreciate you time.

Ride Safe

Dark Side

Old 04-30-2008, 12:32 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Corbin Seats

I agree that Corbin USED to be a very hard seat. Corbin redesigned their seats in 2008. No break is required and it was extremely comfortable from the day I installed it. It lowered me about an inch and move me back an inch. I've love this seat as it's firm but soft and has a nice spring to the back support when getting on the throttle. No butt burning or looking for a another angle after a few hours of riding. I have the young guns and will be ordering the sports tour soon. I highly recommend the 2008 Corbin and the fit is perfect.

The locking and mounting mechanism is pure genius too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49160/2092F421AE594B95A9F5599199C30DD8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49160/4CC848BF2A644B958EF0177031729635.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49160/7DFBC9F520314653803034A723B3878C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49160/4DF2D663DDE24AF1978A5B2CCD3EF0C0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2008, 12:52 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honest -- Before I ever buy another bike, I'm going to make sure Corbin makes a saddle for it. It's "stiff" but in a very (VERY) comfortable way. No hot spots, no monkey-butt, days and days of miles and miles in top comfort over every single saddle I've ever owned (and I think I've wasted more money on more saddles than all of my riding buddies combined).

*IF* there's a down-side, the sides stay higher than most saddles -- Those with shorter legs might have to shift forward a little to plant their feet on the ground at stops. But even that "breaks in" some over time.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:04 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did not like the Corbin, it was too hard and it caused a mild vibration at high speed. I had Alligatorbob.com rebuild my seat and cover it in leather.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:51 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

There is a thread under "throttle trouble" that describes a problem with an aftermarket seat pressing on the ECU and causing the bike to stall. This might be an issue with aftermarket seats on the '08's.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:12 AM
blueride
Tourer

If what cigarcritic said is true, that Corbin redesigned their 08 seats, then Corbin would be worth a look. I had a Corbin solo seat for about 2 days on my 97 RK, before I put it back on Ebay. Hard as a rock. One ride told me all I needed to know about that seat.[:'(]Their 08 seats certainly look more comfortable.

I went with a Mustang solo seat with backrest on my 08 RG. If you buy directly from them, you can return the seat , if it doesn't work for you.Great customer service.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17072/68FF6B24B29F4B728E049E38D3044C3B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 AM
HOGinit
Cruiser

Motorcycle Saddles and fitment is a very personal thing, It differs so much from person to person, If you are going to pay the price for an after market saddle, why not go the extra mile and have it custom built. I had a Corbin custom made (Ride In) in 1997, It went through 3 bikes with me Both co-rider and I were extremely happy with it. I have set on "Off the Shelf" "Custom" saddles from Corbin and Other Manufacturers that were horrible. We rode the seat three times before they covered it and made the adjustments necessary to get it where we wanted it. When we left it was perfect. Last week end I ordered a new saddle from Advanced Seating Designs in Kilgore TX. We will ride in on the 12th of May for them to build and install the saddle. I just can't see payingsuch a high price for a aftermarket seat without having it custom built for the same price minus gas, hotels and food of course. Just another excuse to go for a ride.. I have a satisfaction guarantee from them and although I hadn't heard of them before They have a contract for to provide saddles for Motor Trike and they look and feel great. No affiliation in the company. We will see how this one turns out and inform everyone.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those of ya complainin' 'bout the "hard seats" must not have been raised in the country...

Look at the old tractor seats - steel seats, ain't got much give- but you could plow all day an' dance all nite! It's because of the way the seat FITS someone that it works - NOT because its got 'nuff cushion ta make a pig jealous! What most don't realize is all that deep cushionin' simply because a hot spot with time, because the support across the buttocks ain' evenly spread.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Blackisfast
Tourer

Not just tractor seats...regular horse riding saddles are equally firm. The old timers couldn't just stop at the next gas station for more butt cream. They had to be set for the long haul from the get-go.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I imported a Corbin to the UK for my Glide, then shipped the bike back to the USA in 2003 for the Centenary - did 3,500 miles on that trip without trouble - still using it today!

Hard? No - but certainly firm. Being short I have to rock forwards at standstill to get my feet down, but after 10k miles in all I am very satisfied.

There was a time back in the 70s when there were a lot of US touring seat makers, some with very sophisticated designs. Big Bike Magazine (remember that?) did a review of at least a dozen.

Things ain't what they used to be....

Quick Reply: Corbin Seats