Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MISSING LINK INSTALL AND REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 PM
cwilks
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MISSING LINK INSTALL AND REVIEW

ORIGINAL: sifularson

ORIGINAL: cwilks

Did you "wobble the handlebars going down the road in a straight line" to compare the feeling of the "dog wagging its tail" ????
It really is hard to describe the feeling when the bike gets loose. How would you describe it?
No...no...I understand...I'm just asking if it felt different after the install when you did that again??

Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you "wobble the handlebars going down the road in a straight line" to compare the feeling of the "dog wagging its tail" ????
It really is hard to describe the feeling when the bike gets loose. How would you describe it?
No...no...I understand...I'm just asking if it felt different after the install when you did that again??
Yes, I did the same thing again after the install and all I can say is the bike felt much tighter. The front end still wiggled like it did before but this time the back of the bike stayed solid. No tail wag!

The reason I did the handlebar thing was because I wanted to get a feel for the bike without having to do a high speed cornering test. Try it for yourself and post how it feels to you. I think the thing that bothered me the most about my bike before the install was the feeling that the front and the back of the bike are moving separately. Now they seem to be tied together.

You know, this is a lot like trying to describe the difference in my bike after the IDS install. If you had that done to your bike, you know what I mean. If you didn't have severe noise from the transmission, you might not even notice a difference.

Hope I'm not being to vague.
Steve

Have you installed a missing link yet? or are you?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:28 PM
creep1
Road Captain

Great review and install !!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

Great review. I look forward to installing mine and trying it out. I am thinking christmas gift for my dad if I like it.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:48 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope the How-to helps everyone. I realize that not everyone was born with a wrench in their hand . . . but we still enjoy working on our own bikes.

There really are very few surprises during this install. If anyone has questions please PM me.
Steve

Old 05-01-2008, 08:15 AM
hillbilly64
Cruiser

Great job Steve, a very professional writeup and review, mine should be here today, can't wait to try it out.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Erdnase
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pics, directions and review. Good job!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:39 AM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't get photobucket pics here at work and mine is arriving today. Can the install be done on the jiffy or do you need a lift???

Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 AM
tracy588588
Tourer

hi you do need a lift to take the weight off the rear tire and so you can get at the oil pan bolts easier

Old 05-01-2008, 03:52 PM
cwilks
Banned

Yes, I did the same thing again after the install and all I can say is the bike felt much tighter. The front end still wiggled like it did before but this time the back of the bike stayed solid. No tail wag!

The reason I did the handlebar thing was because I wanted to get a feel for the bike without having to do a high speed cornering test. Try it for yourself and post how it feels to you. I think the thing that bothered me the most about my bike before the install was the feeling that the front and the back of the bike are moving separately. Now they seem to be tied together.

You know, this is a lot like trying to describe the difference in my bike after the IDS install. If you had that done to your bike, you know what I mean. If you didn't have severe noise from the transmission, you might not even notice a difference.

Hope I'm not being to vague.
Steve

Have you installed a missing link yet? or are you?

I'm not convinced yet....to be honest I REALLY don't have a problem with the way the bike handles....I've had two touring bikes and have never experienced the wobble people talk about

Maybe when I have an extra $350 to throw around I might try one

Quick Reply: MISSING LINK INSTALL AND REVIEW