Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MISSING LINK INSTALL AND REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Outstanding post!!!!!! thanks Steve

Old 03-11-2009, 03:59 PM
HarleyHog59
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Post, just got my TWR, putting it on tonight.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM
brnew
Tourer

Had mine installed 2 weeks ago. Over 200(not a lot) miles later including 90mph+ and also some off ramps and curves (not so much sweeping), but the difference is so much better. Bike tracks without any wavering in turns or curves. Another satisfied purchaser.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:47 PM
DeadStick
Intermediate
Thumbs up Major difference in ride quality

Just completed installation of the TWR Missing Link stabilizer on my '06 RK and got back from a 25 mile test ride, and WOW, it feels like a different bike. For anyone wondering if they'll be able to tell a difference, YES, you will feel a big difference. I have never been in a dangerous situation due to rear end wobble, but I've always been able to feel the "loosey-goosey" rear end, a feeling that the bike had a second steering joint on the rear end.

Anyway, the best way to characterize the difference in feeling is that, especially at highway speeds, the bike feels like a fixed, stiff block of steel from front to back. Before, I could easily push on one handlebar at highway speeds and the bars would turn a bit and the bike would countersteer-dive to that side, making a lazy slalom from side to side in one lane very easy and "loose" feeling. Now, when I attempt to countersteer by pushing on one handlebar, it feels like someone is holding the bars tight against that effort, and I swear they won't turn even a quarter inch. To countersteer now, I need to *really* put some force in it and lean, making a lazy slalom at 75 not quite so lazy.

On high-speed sweepers, gentle exit ramps taken at 75, the bike sticks to its line much better than before. I would say that's the best overall description of the different feel - when the bike has a line at high speed, it STAYS ON THAT LINE unless you give it significant steering input. Which is a good thing.

When encountering grooves in the road at highway speed, the bike still wandered a bit in them, but only maybe 1/4th as much as before. (I'm still running stock Dunlops.)

Handling at low speeds around town and parking lots seemed to be a little easier than before, too - the bike seemed to be more predictable at parking lot speed in the friction zone on the clutch.

So, count me as another very happy customer of Tracy's, and thanks again for the detailed writeup and installation instructions, Steve! Loosening up the stock exhaust to get at the bottom nut was a royal PIA, but it prompted me to leave that damn crossover contraption off and get some true duals, which is a story for another post.

(NOTE: the TWR's are currently on sale for $290 plus $22 shipping, for '02s-'08s at least: http://www.twrbaggersplus.com/Stabilizerkits.html)

Last edited by DeadStick; 04-11-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:07 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the TWR unit. Your description of the handling improvement is right on IMO. I also agree about the stock Dunlops. I'm going to change mine to E3s in the future. I hear they are much better in that respect.

Dealing with Tracy was a good experience, wasn't it? He is a stand up guy with a great product at a great price. Spread the word! Guys like him deserve our business.

Steve

Old 04-11-2009, 09:18 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Steve, where the hell you been, vacation or something?

Old 04-11-2009, 09:51 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
Steve, where the hell you been, vacation or something?
Thanks for asking . . . been working my *** off to build my business during this difficult economy. Gotta make some money so I can ride this season. Also, the weather has sucked bad here in the Northwest. Only been out for 500 miles this whole Winter. Now that Spring has sprung, I'll be checking in here more.
Steve

Old 04-14-2009, 03:15 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally ordered the Missing Link from Tracy on Sunday afternoon. Tracy emailed me that he would ship it as soon as possible (bearing in mind that Canada Post had Monday off, Easter Monday) I was not in a rush as I won't be able to install until at least the weekend. Tracy lives a few hundred kilometres from me.

Got home from work around 3pm today (Tuesday) and there is my kit waiting for me (shipped Express Post)........Tracy could teach people about customer service!

The parts look 1st class, great workmanship!

Looking forward to the install, thanks Tracy!!

Dale

Old 04-14-2009, 10:59 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruise_carter
)........Tracy could teach people about customer service!

Dale
Yes, Tracy is the BEST. Hundreds of units sold here and ZERO complaints on him or his product.
Steve

Old 04-24-2009, 09:22 PM
08UltraRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cruise_carter
Got home from work around 3pm today (Tuesday) and there is my kit waiting for me (shipped Express Post)........Tracy could teach people about customer service!

Dale
+1 to that! I ordered mine on Tuesday afternoon and it arrived today (Friday)

Quick Reply: MISSING LINK INSTALL AND REVIEW