Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcyclist killed on ‘the Dragon’

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Rob2002
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcyclist killed on ‘the Dragon’

I rode the Dragon last year with a few friends. OK, so I can say I did it but would I do it again? No.
In a perfect world, everybody would respect it and each other, they would not allow semi's with trailers and life would be good.
In reality, there are A-holes, stupid people, no-riding MFers all over the place there. Your going to meet people that just bought a bike last week on that road. Probably in your lane.
Law enforcement still allows big trucks through knowing that they are going to block the corners. REALLY STUPID!
There are better roads out there to ride and you don't have to put your life (or your passengers) in someone elses hands.
It is a cool road, I'm just fed up with A-holes.
To each his own. Just an opinion.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
bucs012
Road Master

Sad to hear.

Here is another crash video on the Dragon Tail. Lucky some others were there to make sure he didn't get ran over after going down........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYfL43pTFRs

Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Isshinryu
Tourer

I live in N GA and I ride in that area every year. Sad to hearthat the guy died. Like others have said there are other roads that are excellent in that area. I like the dragon I just take my time and ride my way.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 PM
hillbilly64
Cruiser

suicide for sure [:@]

Old 04-30-2008, 01:14 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I rode the dragon early last year on my Heritage. There was not much traffic of any kind and I really enjoyed the ride. I only got passed by one sportbike the whole stretch and he wasn't going excessivly fast.

I plan to take my wife back to that area sometime, but thinking about a swarm of sportbikes passing me and running too close to me makes me think maybe that wouldn't be much fun. I got no problem with sportbikes, but I don't like them being close enough to me and my wife to be a danger to us if they are riding wrecklessly.

Dennis

Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Well all I can say about "The Dragon" is: I am glad I live in sucha place that when I go to "The Dragon" it just makes feel like I am riding at home.[8D]

Divide Arkansas into quarters, go tothe upper left hand quarter, overlap a little to the left lower quarter, throw in a little eastern Oklahoma and Southern Missouri, and you have some of the best riding anywhere in the country.............and it is centrally located!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Caster_Troy
Intermediate

Just being the devils advocate here, but older riders on their baggers do some stupid SH*T too. I know i have, and I'm sure most of you have too. Clearly it occurs much more often with the crotch rockets, but there are alot of people that go out and by a big *** harley bagger as their first bike and think they are an overnight pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJLhSWUBnwE&NR=1

Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off topic, but I agree that Arkansas / Missouri have someof the best M/C riding in the country(and I live in Colorado!)

ORIGINAL: mike5511

Well all I can say about "The Dragon" is: I am glad I live in sucha place that when I go to "The Dragon" it just makes feel like I am riding at home.[8D]

Divide Arkansas into quarters, go tothe upper left hand quarter, overlap a little to the left lower quarter, throw in a little eastern Oklahoma and Southern Missouri, and you have some of the best riding anywhere in the country.............and it is centrally located!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:58 PM
bluehwync
Intermediate

My dad has done plenty of dragon trips on his V-rod as well as in my Moms Mini Cooper S but the best time to go is during the week if you want to enjoy the road. As in earlier posts the sportbikes and Motards are there primarily on the weekends so it's best to get there during the week. In my area of the state we have "The Snake" which is hwy 421 which goes from Bristol TN over to Shady Valley TN and into Damascus VA. It's a great road for twisties but best during the week since the locals play there on the weekends. Most of the riders I've met are pretty safe but of course there are also the new riders wishing to emulate AMA Superbike guys and MotoGP riders.Every year theres a couple fatalities due to rider error and careless mistakes. I've raced both superbikes and vintage bikes and now have finally slowed down to enjoy the many roads that most people take for granted here in both NC and TN. Now if I could just slow down my retired Dad on his V-ROD, hahahaha.

later,
Scott

Old 05-01-2008, 12:59 AM
HEMSPLT
Cruiser

A buddy and I happened upon the Dragon in the June of '92 before the popularity of the Internet and all of these forums. We had no idea what it was but were glad we found it and had a good time. We just referred to it as Deal's Gap. I was on an 1100 Katana at the time.

I would never do it today with my wife on the bike. Too many idiots and too many people in general. I'm not worried about my own discipline or skills but you can't always get out of sombody else's way, especially a loaded semi. It's just not worth it. I agree with the other posters that stated there are many other great roads in the area.

Quick Reply: Motorcyclist killed on ‘the Dragon’