Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcyclist killed on ‘the Dragon’

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:39 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Motorcyclist killed on ‘the Dragon’

I live here in Knoxville and make a yearly ride through The Dragon...just to say I went this year.
As I said though...ONLY once a year!
The crotch rockets & motards own that place. Stay to the right and let 'em go on by.

This "accident" was more of a suicide or death wish and only one of several that will happen on The Dragon this year.

Sorry guys...I don't pity fools! A 230' mark from 1 of the fastest production bikes by a 21 yr old INEXPERIENCED rider on The Dragon...constitutes a fool.

I agree...Cherahola Skyway is a MUCH nicer ride!

Any of you guys that make your way here...drop me a PM. I'll be glad to ride with you!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:59 AM
olbagr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8:50pm ? Riding that fast after dark he probably encountered one of those night critters in the road. All the roads in that area are better than the dragon IMHO

Old 04-30-2008, 04:31 AM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Road Glider

Back in 2002 we rode the dragon and tractor trailor left us no place to go....everybody ended up OK though

Take a look at the picture:
Wow, that sucks. Glad everyone made it out in one piece!

Old 04-30-2008, 04:46 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Check out Youtube (motorcycle accidents) for some really insane antics that kids do on those bikes. Most end in accidents. Stupid and sad!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:50 AM
toyking23
Cruiser

My wife and I were at the Microtel hotel in Robbinsville last Thursday where this Haybusa group was gathering. We talked to several of them, all different ages, very nice group.Then on Friday we rode the skyway, and the Haybusa group passed us, in a very respectable manor, probably 25 to 30 bikes. Little later they had pulled off to take pictures and then caught us and passed us again in a respectable manor. Then, we caught up to them in a curve 2 bikes down, with parts scattered everywhere they hit the guard rail. I doubt speed was a factor in this wreck, they were driving faster then us, I riding my UC and the wife on her Shadow. But, they weren't riding super crotch rocket fast, probably 2 ran into each other in the curve.But, we did learn something important, no cell coverage on certain areas of the sky way. An ambulance had to be called as one appeared to have a broke leg. Members of the group had to ride to get cell coverage. I tried my CB but didn't help. The ambulance finally made it.

With just the 2 of us riding, made me think we need some kind ofaction plan should something happen to one of us and no cell coverage. I would hate to leave my injured wife alone to go find help.We ride and have fun, but a squirrel can cause you to wreck. A duck just about made me crash in Seiverville.

Ride safe

Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

OL & I have ridden the Dragon several times & really enjoyed it. But it can be dangerous. There's simply no way fora semi-truckto make the curves w/out taking up both lanes,& coupled w/blind the curvesIMO creates an emminently dangerous situation. SEMI-TRUCKS CANNOT NAVIGATE THIS ROAD IN A SAFE MANNER & I don't understand why they haven't been banned on this stretch of road for obvious safety reasons. Seems like a no-brainer to me...

VicW.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

I'm sorry for his family, but a 21 year old
on a Hayabusa is an accident waiting to happen.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 21 year old speeding around a corner at night is even more stupid!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:58 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That use to be my motto double the speed limit. Lucky I lived long enough until my common sense kicked it. Just like anything there will alway be someone who can ride faster and take more risk than you. On another note the dragon in my opinion is alot of hipe. There are many more great road in and round that area that are just as good if not better for a HD. The Cherahola Skyway is simply awsome. That area has got to be the best riding east of the Miss.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:24 AM
billydflnc
Cruiser

Heading there and beyond tommorow... the guys I'm riding with have been before so they've schooled me on what to expect, taking the glide w/ tour pack... will take it easy and show some respect to the road..........HAPPY TRAILS

Quick Reply: Motorcyclist killed on ‘the Dragon’