Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcyclist killed on ‘the Dragon’

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:25 PM
jefftrammel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcyclist killed on ‘the Dragon’

Been there Done that 4 times now. Its cool to say you did it...but honestly..... the ride from Gatlinburg to the dragon via Townsend and the FOOTHILLS PARKWAY and then the ride from the dragon to Cherokee, NC along 28, 74, and 19 is MUCH BETTER than the Dragon. The other routes I mention are a lot of long snakey kind of roads that have twists & turns....but they also allow you to enjoy the ride while taking in the sights along the way! I'll go again this fall and ride it AGAIN....just for the joy of the ride!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 PM
tna1000
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Lawdawg
I agree, we rode it last year. We had more fun riding the Skyway,I saw more than just the road in front of me.
[/quote]

Skyway... wheres that?
[/quote]

I assume he is talkin about theCherohala Skyway. It runs from Robinsville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN. Very nice ride.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Detro996
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: jefftrammel

Been there Done that 4 times now. Its cool to say you did it...but honestly..... the ride from Gatlinburg to the dragon via Townsend and the FOOTHILLS PARKWAY and then the ride from the dragon to Cherokee, NC along 28, 74, and 19 is MUCH BETTER than the Dragon. The other routes I mention are a lot of long snakey kind of roads that have twists & turns....but they also allow you to enjoy the ride while taking in the sights along the way! I'll go again this fall and ride it AGAIN....just for the joy of the ride!
Every road up there is better than Deals Gap. Especially on a cruiser with no ground clearance. Its a decent point and shoot road for a sportbike. It was better 20 years ago when there would be 20 bikes in the parking lot on any given Sunday.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

"Skyway" = Cherohala Skyway. Here's some info:

http://www.cherohala.com/

Fill-up the tank before you get on it 'cause there are no gas stations on it; at least there weren't when I road it last. There are small towns along the Skyway to find gas, but better to start with a full tank. Connects Robbinsville, NC and Tellico Plains, TN. Fabulous vistas and huge elevation changes.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Road Glider
Tourer

Back in 2002 we rode the dragon and tractor trailor left us no place to go....everybody ended up OK though

Take a look at the picture:

Old 04-29-2008, 04:49 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

ORIGINAL: Road Glider

Back in 2002 we rode the dragon and tractor trailor left us no place to go....everybody ended up OK though

Take a look at the picture:
son of a bitch! that was a nasty looking pic. hate to see a harley in such an unnatural position. glad everyone made it okay.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:54 PM
harvey3609
Cruiser

I agree the ride to the Dragon is more enjoyable than the actual dragon ride - at least for me. The roads from the Smikey Mts to Deals Gap are really beautiful.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
tonymacomb@yahoo.com
Advanced

i loved the dragon but by the time we got off my wife was in tears. we were two up and full bags. the crotch rockets were passin us with on coming traffic . i thinkl they had death wishes or something. i want to go back , just goin to leave the wife by the pool.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:55 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very sad story, repeated all too often. I believe much of it comes down to training and maturity. Manyridersdon't know how to ride a motorcycle within the limits of the environment. I raced "crotch-rockets" on closed course road race circuits for 6 years when I was in my late 20s, and anyone who thinks they can actually ride a sportbike fast on a public road has no proper perspective. Also, the fact that the rider in the story locked up his REAR brake shows he probably didn't know how to ride. I would suggest that you almost never need (or even should) use your rear brake on a motorcycle...it simply doesn't have enough weight on it to do anything other than lock up in a hard-braking scenario. I agree with some of the posts about the gap not being a particularly enjoyable ride unless you are on a light, good handling motorcycle. Two-up on my RKC??? no thanks please.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:58 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

He locked the rear brake and skidded about 230 feet before running off the right side of the road and into a tree, Trooper John Pedigo wrote in a report.
How freakin' fast do you have to be going to *skid* for *230 feet*?!?

Terrible -- But too many of these things are attributable to Darwinism. I hope everyone here avoids such things - As in, being an innocent casualty of such things.

Quick Reply: Motorcyclist killed on ‘the Dragon’