Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 VOLT POWER POINT ON ROAD KING

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008 | 02:08 PM
stevepacman
|
Road Master
Default 12 VOLT POWER POINT ON ROAD KING

Bought the 12 volt power point from the dealer today so I can add a plug for my GPS and Cel for an upcoming Smoky Mt trip. I have no intension of drilling a hole in the side cover as described in the instructions. I'll most likely extend the wires and stash it in my saddlebag so I can lock up whatever I'm charging. I'm looking for ideas on a good/clean place to mount this thing that won't look bad cuz I don't do ugly!

Old 04-29-2008 | 02:58 PM
tangovictorone
4th Gear
Default RE: 12 VOLT POWER POINT ON ROAD KING

I mounted mine right next to the fuse block. Cover fits right back on and I ran a double extension to my left saddlebag. When I take the extension out you never know I have a power point on the bike.

Forgot to add: I bought the HD one for the correct plug. Bought a cheap universal one at Wal Mart for the l shaped bracket. Took the cheap one out and mounted the HD one in the bracket. Loosened a bolt behing the fuse cover forward of the fuse panel and its a perfect fit! Cover hides the whole thing.

Old 04-29-2008 | 04:00 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

If you have a battery tender...

There is a universal 12-volt accessory plug at wal-mart that retails for something ridiculous like $1.96 (ridiculously cheap) that plugs into the pigtail from the battery tender (not sure what that type of connection is called). The cord is long enough to run to either saddlebag. I charge my phone, iPod and even run a mini-compressor from that $1.96 plug. It is great!

Old 04-29-2008 | 04:44 PM
Cruise
Advanced

If you don't want ugly you bought the wrong power point. lol. Actually there are two beauties that I have owned. One is currently mounted on my Roadking handlebars right beside the triple tree cover. It is simply gorgeous marine grade work of art. It is pricey but since we spent a ton of money on our bikes...why put a $1.98 ugly rigged accessory on them? This one will last forever and can be moved from bike to bike...check it out

http://stores.ebay.com/NAP-Marketing...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

The other power point I recommend says on the site that they are out of stock right now but it is a great one too and comes with a cigarette lighter and several mounting options.

http://www.formotionproducts.com/powerpod.htm

Old 04-29-2008 | 04:54 PM
Q Hog
Road Warrior

I have mine on my right side cover...

Old 04-29-2008 | 06:37 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

Well, you can't even seethe $1.98 plugunless you open up the saddlebag! And it's not rigged - It plugs directly into the battery tender pigtail with no modification whatsoever. $95 for a big-*** cigarette-lighter port sitting on your handlebars? Not to mention wires running everywhere... We obviously have two differing opinions of ugly.

Old 04-29-2008 | 06:53 PM
stukes_md
Tourer

Black Bastard - good idea. I don't have a battery tender, but have a single female plug for a Gerbing heated jacket liner. I'll have to stop by the W-M to see if it's the same plug.

Old 04-29-2008 | 08:25 PM
stevepacman
|
Road Master

Good feedback folks, thanks. I did buy the real-deal H-D Supplimental Power Point. I also have a battery tender connector and that's a good option too. Hey Tango... is there room next to the fuse block to mount the "receptacle?" Where do you actually stow it in the bag or coiled up inside your side cover until you need it. What portion did you do the "double extension?"

I really don't care for the bar mount power receptacle. That's what I mean by "ugly."

Old 04-29-2008 | 09:38 PM
Cruise
Advanced

Just like tastes in bikes...everyone has their idea of ugly. And I've had the Harley receptacle, I've seen the holes drilled, and hidden pods in different places. I was not putting down anyones ideas here...mostly just putting down the ideas that I have seen implemented in life on various bikes...Especially the Harley receptacle that must be flush monuted or hidden to hide the ugliness. All I'm saying is other than drilling, which the original post stated was not gonna happen, the only Harley one I've seen that wasn't hidden out of site or flush mounted looked like ...well, ugly. I'm anxious to see what you finally decide on and would love to see pictures of the completed install. Here's mine...ugly to some but up where a GPS can reach it, cell in the windshield bag can reach and charge, etc. I think I had in mind as much helping others who may stumble on wanting something similar than to get in an argument of what ugly is to each of us. This is my opinion only...take it or leave it. That's what forums are for.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52159/2FA6C79A373849D29D447E56CE4BF484.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-29-2008 | 10:13 PM
tangovictorone
4th Gear

Hey Tango... is there room next to the fuse block to mount the "receptacle?" Where do you actually stow it in the bag or coiled up inside your side cover until you need it. What portion did you do the "double extension?"

Yea, its a perfect place. I found a bolt to attach it there and you'd think it was supposed to be there. I have a 10' extension with a double recepticle running from the power point down the frame under the seat and coiled in my left bag to run my XM and charge my cell phone. Works perfectly for me!

Quick Reply: 12 VOLT POWER POINT ON ROAD KING