Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I go into the stealership tonight....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: So I go into the stealership tonight....

yep, "Sir, thank you for advising us of your problem. Please reinstall the battery and we will come get your bike and warranty the battery, then deliver bike with new battery installed'....that is the ONLY right answer.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:24 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: manonthemon

if you got an 06 with a bad battery, bad news for ya not under warranty. Batteries on a new bike are only warranty6 months. Went to start mine on my 06 RoadKing, dead even after tendering it all winter. Dealership said, yep some people get 14 months some get 10 years. No good reason for it but the 2 year unliminted warranty from Harley is covers....well basically nothing.
I guess it all depends on the dealer, I had a battery go bad and it was older than 6 months. I road to the dealer and then the bike wouldn't start. The salesman I do buisness with ask if he could push it around back for me, told him I'd get it. Got back to the service area and it was a NASCAR pit stop. They had that battery tested and replace in record time and it didn't cost me a dime. The 2 year warranty on my bike replaced the following.

Battery
Inner fairing
Fork lock
Shifter shaft seal
Bottom half of tour-pak
Front motor mount

All items were done with no hassles and no marks on my bike, some they came to the house with an enclosed trailer and picked up and dropped off the bike when done with no charge to me. I've come to the conclusion that some dealers are a$$holes and some customers are a$$hole also. I've seen how rough a dealer can be to a customer that acts like a a$$, they get **** for service.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

We must understand the simple bussiness concept. The warrenty is on the BIKE, NOT on individual parts. All dealers will need the bike present to file warrenty claims, its requiered by Harley Davidson. Its the only way they can get reimbursed for the costs. If they send in a warrenty claim without service time, they will not get paid by Harley.

I have had several claims on my 06 ultra, and each time (at different dealers, depending on where I was) service was exemplarary. Quick, no hassle, and no charges..

I expect the same with my 08.

Sure some don't explain it as well as they could...but the facts are the same with your cage...nothing is warrentied without them checking the car for the cause...same with the bike..

Old 04-29-2008, 06:15 AM
rjgraham
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks, hope it works out.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:08 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer

All that for a battery? I guess some people are just sticklers for rules. Dealer nearby (non HD) had no problem swapping a warranty battery.....

Had a few other occasions where I could call ahead and get parts ordered, and justexchange them over the counterwhen they came in. Just guessing but I bet the warranty claims still got paid. That plan worked out really well when I had the front end tore off and found bad neck bearings.

Try calling around, you might get lucky and find a dealership willing to swap, after giving your vin over the phone.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had an air shock warranty claim om my 05. The dealer ordered new shocks and in the mean time I bought Progressives. When the new shocks came in they swapped them over the counter knowing full well I was going to Ebay them. I had a similar thing with a warranteed speedo. I was in the area and checked to see if the new one came in. It had and they allowed me to take it home and install it myself and ship the old one back.

It's crazy how some dealers can be such a pain and others can be quite accommodating.
Rick

Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer actually does something right? I have pre paid service which covers up to three batteries. When I told him my battery was acting up, he told me to either bring the battery in or the bike, either way not a problem. Too bad this does not make up for the other stupid $hit they do there.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts
Default RE: So I go into the stealership tonight....UPDATED

Well yesterday morning I call the dealership to chat with the Service Manager and he says "hold a moment" and the next voice I hear on the phone is the General Manager of the dealership. Seems he heard of the "incident" when he hit the door yesterday morning. We had a chat for a bit and a Moco rep happened to be sitting there at the time. He was pleasant and agreed the situation should have been settled right then and there when I was at the dealership. I'm going in this morning to meet with him and get this resolved. He also mentioned there were issues with the voltage regulator on the 06 bikes and offered to come pick it up for free. Seems he was also aware of the "call a wrecker" comment made by the service writer. This was the same service writer who told me that "the fork lock fairy" must have been messing with my fork lock when it needed to be fixed under warranty. I also filled him in on that comment and the fact they lost a sale of a new bike 3 weeks ago because of it not to mention a 95" build. We'll see what happens.... wonder if word of this post got back to them lol ?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My understanding is that it is a requirement from the MOCO, not the individual dealerships. When I got my '08 Ultra, I was riding down the road after a couple of hundred miles and hear something like a rock hitting my spokes. I looked down to check and the front fender tip light was dangling (what I heard was the machine screw falling out. I had to go over to Atlanta that week and was driving my truck so I took it in. The service manager reluctantly gave me the new lamp (it was all scratched up) but told me that they are required to see all warranty work in person. He was very cordial, but clearly wished that I had ridden the bike in so they could replace it themselves.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:58 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

Sorry to hear about your missadventure! I just had to replace the 4 yr. old oem type battery in my RG. Just walked in to the parts counter at H-D of Cartersville Ga. and told them what I needed . They handed me a new batt. fresh off the shelf,took it home and was back in business in no time. Ride safe![sm=biker2.gif]

Quick Reply: So I go into the stealership tonight....