Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Ethanol

ORIGINAL: rochkes

Keep in mind that it is legal for a gas station to post "contains no ethanol" on a pump that has less than 10% ethanol. So lets say your down at Casey's and one pump says no ehtanol and one says 10% ethanol, it is legal for one to have 9.9% ethanol and the other to have 10%.

Ammoco is the only gas station I know of in this country that ALWAYS has pure gas.

Dennis
Wong-O-You don't even know what refinery or pump station it is coming out of. Your Amoco at the pump could very well have been refined at a Sunoco plant. You just can not tell by brand. The only thing you can be certain of is that whatever additives are advertised by a brand are in the gas.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 AM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TN Houndog

ORIGINAL: SG 1

Do you know how long it takes to build a refinery? This country (WE) need to start now!
Building the refinery is the EASY part. Getting the permits to build it is something else. With all the roadblocks and regulations the EPA and the enviroidiots have put in the way, is it any wonder we're in the shape we're in? I'd like Bush or whoever his successor is to call a national emergency for fuel and suspend the whole regulatory process! I'd bet we could put a new refinery online in less than 2 years without all the regulatory BS. The same goes for the oil wells.

There's a company trying about 75 miles from my house, they are gaining ground but at the rate they're going with everyone around the area bitching, it's gonna take years to get approved. [:@]

Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

ORIGINAL: FX4

Keep in mind that it is legal for a gas station to post "contains no ethanol" on a pump that has less than 10% ethanol. So lets say your down at Casey's and one pump says no ehtanol and one says 10% ethanol, it is legal for one to have 9.9% ethanol and the other to have 10%.

Ammoco is the only gas station I know of in this country that ALWAYS has pure gas.

Dennis
Wong-O-You don't even know what refinery or pump station it is coming out of. Your Amoco at the pump could very well have been refined at a Sunoco plant. You just can not tell by brand. The only thing you can be certain of is that whatever additives are advertised by a brand are in the gas.
I am not going to argue or pretend I know all about this, but a friend of mine owns an Amoco station. I am just going by what he tells me. Then again, I guess they call themselves BP now and maybe their policies have changed or maybe they never did have the exclusive that my bud says they did.

But I do know that at least before it was BP, Amoco GUARANTEED no ethanol in their gas.

Dennis

Old 04-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Artur
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Station where I buy my gas won't sell ethanol, He runs a full service shop and say the stuff is juke,

He's the mechnic so Ill defer to him.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:26 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: FX4

Dennis
I am not going to argue or pretend I know all about this, but a friend of mine owns an Amoco station. I am just going by what he tells me. Then again, I guess they call themselves BP now and maybe their policies have changed or maybe they never did have the exclusive that my bud says they did.

But I do know that at least before it was BP, Amoco GUARANTEED no ethanol in their gas.

Dennis
In general terms you have one of three things going on for an areas gasoline supply.

1. All refiners blend and make fuel to a certain specification that is all pumped into the same supply pipeline. Additives are added at the delivery truck.
2. There are a couple of refiners in the area that supply all gas stations no matter what the brand is. A given load just gets different additives.
3. Or in the case of Florida it is sent in by ocean freighter.

You are talking about the days when ethanol ruined cars - almost twenty years ago.
*** I should also add that I do not know where in the supply chain the ethanol blending occurs.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:10 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

FX4,
Your last line in the above post would clarify this issue if we knew the answer to it. I don't know what stage the ethanol is blended in the gas. I doubt it is at the refinery. It is more than likely a gas company operation, but I don't know for sure.

Dennis

Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the manual for my 2004 Nissan Titan says to avoid using ethanol. A while back Missouri mandated ethanol be in gasoline but announced this week they were rethinking that policy due to the lower fuel economy and increased food costs.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 661 Likes on 411 Posts

More and more gas stations in Illinois are selling the 10% ethanol blend. My only advice is don'tuse it all the time, and don't store a bike over the winter with ethanol blended gas.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've stored every bike I've owned over the last 14 years on ethanol blend, but I do add the Yamaha fuel conditioner (I like it better than Stabil). And they are usually stored for close to 6 months. Never had a problem starting or running on the old gas in the spring. Again...I don't agree with the use of Ethanol....but its not going to hurt your bike, at least at the 10% mixture.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Ultra007
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, life long Iowan here. I know a thing or two about corn you could say. LOL
First of all I do run ethonal in my bike if I have to, still 93 octane, runs fine but loses 1 or 2 mpg.More if you run hard.
I had a Tahoe that within 5 miles of putting it in the tank, the engine light would come on and missfire.
The ethanol acts like a solvent and will clean out varnish and carbon build ups. This can foul plugs, carbs and injectors. I think if you start running it when new or newer, shouldn't be a problem.
Since we are crossing into the political thread it seems, lol - true, ethanol takes more petroleum energy to produce than it yields. BUT, it is renewable. AND, when the petroleum used to produce the ethanol is slowly converted to alternative fuel sources, the carbon footprint will shrink. It will be more efficient to produce. BUT - think about it, if less corn was needed for ethanol since it is so un-attractive to so many,that acreage would be switched to producethe true bright stars of our future such as soybeans (bio-diesel), switch grass (ethanol) and even sugar cane (ethanol) were sustituted. There would still be a "food shortage". That's the trade off for renewable fuels. There's no easy way out of this guys!
So burn what ya burn, just keep riding!

U