Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:17 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 664 Likes on 529 Posts
Default RE: Ethanol

its still breaking in my 07 ultra milage is all over the place 32-46 11000 miles now it getting a little more stable 38-42

Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 PM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have stated, your mpg will decrease because there is less energy in ethanol compared to straight gasoline.

Ethanol is also more prone to causing vapor lock then straight gasoline.

I have read (yes on the internet) that it takes 500+ pounds of corn to make 13 gallons of ethanol. The corn will feed a child in Mexico for one year.

Ethanol also requires huge amounts of water to produce.

Without taxpayer subsides Ethanol would not exist. It would cost too much. The market place would kill it.

Ethanol is a farm welfare scheme created by politians to help the politianstay in power.

Ethanol is raising the price of all food, because more farm land is being devoted to growing corn to produce more Ethanol.

There is a move in Minnesota, my home state, to increase the minimum percentage of ethanol to 20%. I just love politicians.

OD

Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nearly all the gas around here has been 10% ethenol for many years....last fall my bone stock 08 Ultra was getting 44-46 mpg on it....now after stage-1 its down to about 38. I don't have a problem burning it other than I don't agree with ethenol as the "solution" to our gas problems. I think the government needs to get there collective heads out of their *** and start approving some new refineries, new drilling policy, coal gasification and a whole lot of other stuff. Using food to make fuel is definitely not the right answer.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:59 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: OD_Cleaver

As others have stated, your mpg will decrease because there is less energy in ethanol compared to straight gasoline.

Ethanol is also more prone to causing vapor lock then straight gasoline.

I have read (yes on the internet) that it takes 500+ pounds of corn to make 13 gallons of ethanol. The corn will feed a child in Mexico for one year.

Ethanol also requires huge amounts of water to produce.

Without taxpayer subsides Ethanol would not exist. It would cost too much. The market place would kill it.

Ethanol is a farm welfare scheme created by politians to help the politianstay in power.

Ethanol is raising the price of all food, because more farm land is being devoted to growing corn to produce more Ethanol.

There is a move in Minnesota, my home state, to increase the minimum percentage of ethanol to 20%. I just love politicians.

OD
Amen Brother

Old 04-28-2008, 08:00 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Windup08

Nearly all the gas around here has been 10% ethenol for many years....last fall my bone stock 08 Ultra was getting 44-46 mpg on it....now after stage-1 its down to about 38. I don't have a problem burning it other than I don't agree with ethenol as the "solution" to our gas problems. I think the government needs to get there collective heads out of their *** and start approving some new refineries, new drilling policy, coal gasification and a whole lot of other stuff. Using food to make fuel is definitely not the right answer.
Amen to you too.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:04 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

As long as we're discussing what fuel we should run, Here's a question for you.
I was told today thatthe use of Sunoco Gasoline was not recommended in your Harley Davidson. Supposedly, this is due to a high ash content in this particular brand.
I heard this a couple of years ago andwrote it off as BS. But now I've heard it again, from another source...and I still think it is BS...but, has anyone else heard this or anything simular?

I have run it for years in my bikes and cages with no problems.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior

Do you know how long it takes to build a refinery? This country (WE) need to start now!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Profman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One simple rule: Don't put food in your gas tank.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: gs34doc

As long as we're discussing what fuel we should run, Here's a question for you.
I was told today thatthe use of Sunoco Gasoline was not recommended in your Harley Davidson. Supposedly, this is due to a high ash content in this particular brand.
I heard this a couple of years ago andwrote it off as BS. But now I've heard it again, from another source...and I still think it is BS...but, has anyone else heard this or anything simular?

I have run it for years in my bikes and cages with no problems.
I've never heard anything like that before, but that don't mean much. Rest assured that Sunoco fuels meet or exceed EPA standards or they couldn't sell them! Ash content is regulated by EPA so I'd tend to call BS on that one.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: SG 1

Do you know how long it takes to build a refinery? This country (WE) need to start now!
Building the refinery is the EASY part. Getting the permits to build it is something else. With all the roadblocks and regulations the EPA and the enviroidiots have put in the way, is it any wonder we're in the shape we're in? I'd like Bush or whoever his successor is to call a national emergency for fuel and suspend the whole regulatory process! I'd bet we could put a new refinery online in less than 2 years without all the regulatory BS. The same goes for the oil wells.

Quick Reply: Ethanol