Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:49 PM
baldjohnny
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

Reading hispost first thought was the kill switch, but can understand what he was doing after he went into it more, imagine there's a few of us that would do something others might have considered risky to getour bike to a safe place. It's good to hear about stuff like that with all the opinions of how to handle it, that's what makes this board worthwhile. Some are taken with a grain of salt, some are greeted with "BS", others are obviously valid and make sense.

CROMAN, big ***** dude! Obviously took a little skill to ride abike like that home, don't know if my'nads hang low enough for that fun of a ride.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: croman69z28

(07 FLHX 5500mi) Don't know if this has ever happened to anyone here but, I rode to south Georgia (5 hrs or so) this weekend and lost all control of my throttle. I rode about 250-300 miles and noticed the engine light was coming on and going off. It wasnt blinking but it was on and then off. I came to a traffic light and my idle was stuck around 2000rpm. I took it to Albany HD and they ran the codes and said it should be okay to ride. I appreciated them helping me out that much b/c it was right at closing time. Long story short, by the time I got to Cairo (40 or so more miles)the throttle was stuck at WOT. I burned up both sets of brakes just trying to control it enough to get it somewhere safe. A friend of mine got me and the bike back to the local dealership today and I'm waiting to hear form them. My bike is bone stock and i bought it new not even a year ago. Any ideas???
Why didn't you just pull in the clutch?

Old 05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
croman69z28
Novice

ORIGINAL: russl179

(07 FLHX 5500mi) Don't know if this has ever happened to anyone here but, I rode to south Georgia (5 hrs or so) this weekend and lost all control of my throttle. I rode about 250-300 miles and noticed the engine light was coming on and going off. It wasnt blinking but it was on and then off. I came to a traffic light and my idle was stuck around 2000rpm. I took it to Albany HD and they ran the codes and said it should be okay to ride. I appreciated them helping me out that much b/c it was right at closing time. Long story short, by the time I got to Cairo (40 or so more miles)the throttle was stuck at WOT. I burned up both sets of brakes just trying to control it enough to get it somewhere safe. A friend of mine got me and the bike back to the local dealership today and I'm waiting to hear form them. My bike is bone stock and i bought it new not even a year ago. Any ideas???
Why didn't you just pull in the clutch?
when i pulled the clutch, the motor would hit the rev limiter. I figured if the throttle failed, the rev limiter could too and id have a busted motor on my hands.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
croman69z28
Novice

ORIGINAL: Donnylee

As far as my riding the bike beingstupid or crazy or whatever, I felt like I did what I needed to do to get it to a safe place. I never felt like I put myself at risk while riding and I felt like I was in control of my bike. Some may call me stupid or suicidial, I may call you a *****.

"(40 or so more miles)the throttle was stuck at WOT. I burned up both sets of brakes just trying to control it enough to get it somewhere safe."

I am glad it is corrected and problem found. Maybe you embelished the problemmore then a bit?Ifthat was the case....You should have said so....Given your initialreport, no, I do not think anyone overreacted frankly. There is no way to ride a bike safely with a stuck "Wide Open Throttle" your words and description. Maybe it more that you like stirring up Sheit with people whowere concerned, andlended some idea's, and what appeared to be common sense to us.And now youwant to feel justified. Good luck, alienatingmembers, andtelling us we are
P%ssys for it.Thats really fresh......

I'm not trying to alienate anyone nor did I embelish the problem. Everything happened just as i said it did and I handled it as I saw fit. I felt as if some peoplewere not concerned about helping me figure out what my problem was and they just saw a chance to bust someones ***** for doing or nor doing what they would've done. I felt confident that I could ride my bike just as far as I needed to and I was right. I have confidence in my riding skills and my decision makingabilities. I posted a problem and feel as if sheit was stirred around b/c of my choice to ride my broken bike. After all it would be my *** that was skint up not anyone elses.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:28 PM
croman69z28
Novice

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

ORIGINAL: frog13

(07 FLHX 5500mi) Long story short, by the time I got to Cairo (40 or so more miles)the throttle was stuck at WOT. I burned up both sets of brakes just trying to control it enough to get it somewhere safe.

Im not on the throttle. I went from dead stop to 70+ without ever touching the throttle.
Ok, I gotta ask. The throttle opened up all by itself? By the time you got to Cairo? You went from dead stop to 70+ without ever touching the throttle? Did you shift while this was happening? I hate to sound like I'm doggin' ya, but there is a "kill" switch which will stop all of this.
yes, when i hit the starter the rpms went straight to the rev limiter. I hit the kill switch at the stop signs ans red lights as well as sharp curves. I would get the bike in 2nd, pull the clutch, hit the starter and hold on.I was shifting without the clutch b/c I figured that was better than bouncing off the limiter. The local shops were closed so I felt like I needed to get the bike somewhere I recognized.
At this point your an idiot to continue, should have called a tow truck. Lucky you didnt kill yourself or somebody else.Bet the dealer makes you pay for your own brake job.
Brakes are fine. They just got spongey after they heated up. No wobble and good grip. Thanks for you concern.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:29 PM
lugnut19
Stage III

+1 on throttle blade screw loosening, set code (uncontrollable idle), idle kept climbing (40 miles total) ,2000 rev idle. dealer repaired under warranty.Less than 1 hour fix.If happens again know what to look for, right lower corner behind air cleaner.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
croman69z28
Novice

ORIGINAL: lugnut19

+1 on throttle blade screw loosening, set code (uncontrollable idle), idle kept climbing (40 miles total) ,2000 rev idle. dealer repaired under warranty.Less than 1 hour fix.If happens again know what to look for, right lower corner behind air cleaner.
EXACTLY!!!