Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

it happened to me......found the throttle shaft broken .... would idle high, take off, act stupid no matter what input i gave it...the end of the shaft is what controls the IAC motor and that got all jacked to boot....i seriously doubt its an injector or electrical prob....i'm bettin something with the blade, shaft, or cables....look for big vacuum leak such as the whole assembly become'n dislodged enough to suck air past the manifold gasket....your prob IMO is cause its gettin LOTS of air and theecm is compensating by giving LOTS of fuel

Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 PM
thug
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with my '07 SG. I called it a "high idle stick", and, no, it had nothing to do whatsoever with the return throttle gripcable. My idle would stick around 2500 rpm when coming to a stop(bike in 1st gear with cluth engaged orin neutral). Both times I had weird effects going on with my dash indicator lights, and there were no onboard diagnostics codes stored in the system that would shed light on the problem. Had to take it back to dealer twice. The second time they told me that the throttle position sensor screws had worked themselves loose. It still sticks a little sometimes whencoasting to a stopbut will idle down as soon as Ibring the biketo a complete stop. I'm keeping an eye on it. My guess is that setting the throttle position sensor is tricky business.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:40 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

You guys go from insulting to accusing.

The guy posted ascary experience and a legit question....he didn't ask for you to critic his response to his problem. He got the bike home, didn't he? That's more than most responders here could manage.

The question remains: "Has this happened to you, and what caused it?"
Your just upset it isnt an 08 TBW problem

Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 AM
croman69z28
Novice

I got my bike back on Tuesday. The shop foreman did the work and said the "tamper proof" screw that controls the idle had worked loose and was holding the throttle open. He said he'd never seen anything like that before. The screw came from MOCO with red lock-tight but it apparently failed. The screw is a five point set screw with a nipple in the middle of it. It is my understanding that this is a factory only screw, not available anywhere else. The guy that did the work said they wouldnt send him a screw or tool to fit it. Regardless, I got my junk back and it runs likea new one. As far as my riding the bike beingstupid or crazy or whatever, I felt like I did what I needed to do to get it to a safe place. I never felt like I put myself at risk while riding and I felt like I was in control of my bike. Some may call me stupid or suicidial, I may call you a *****.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:45 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

ORIGINAL: croman69z28

As far as my riding the bike beingstupid or crazy or whatever, I felt like I did what I needed to do to get it to a safe place. I never felt like I put myself at risk while riding and I felt like I was in control of my bike. Some may call me stupid or suicidial, I may call you a *****.
As I read your post and you described how you handled your situation, I didn't think you were crazy, wreckless, suicidal or anything else........... It sounded like to me that you were aware of the problem and actually knew how to get the bike to were you wanted it under horrible circumstances.

Glad to see you are not too worried about what others type.

Dennis

Old 05-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

As far as my riding the bike beingstupid or crazy or whatever, I felt like I did what I needed to do to get it to a safe place. I never felt like I put myself at risk while riding and I felt like I was in control of my bike. Some may call me stupid or suicidial, I may call you a *****.

"(40 or so more miles)the throttle was stuck at WOT. I burned up both sets of brakes just trying to control it enough to get it somewhere safe."

I am glad it is corrected and problem found. Maybe you embelished the problemmore then a bit?Ifthat was the case....You should have said so....Given your initialreport, no, I do not think anyone overreacted frankly. There is no way to ride a bike safely with a stuck "Wide Open Throttle" your words and description. Maybe it more that you like stirring up Sheit with people whowere concerned, andlended some idea's, and what appeared to be common sense to us.And now youwant to feel justified. Good luck, alienatingmembers, andtelling us we are
P%ssys for it.Thats really fresh......

Old 05-01-2008, 12:21 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: frog13

(07 FLHX 5500mi) Long story short, by the time I got to Cairo (40 or so more miles)the throttle was stuck at WOT. I burned up both sets of brakes just trying to control it enough to get it somewhere safe.

Im not on the throttle. I went from dead stop to 70+ without ever touching the throttle.
Ok, I gotta ask. The throttle opened up all by itself? By the time you got to Cairo? You went from dead stop to 70+ without ever touching the throttle? Did you shift while this was happening? I hate to sound like I'm doggin' ya, but there is a "kill" switch which will stop all of this.
yes, when i hit the starter the rpms went straight to the rev limiter. I hit the kill switch at the stop signs ans red lights as well as sharp curves. I would get the bike in 2nd, pull the clutch, hit the starter and hold on.I was shifting without the clutch b/c I figured that was better than bouncing off the limiter. The local shops were closed so I felt like I needed to get the bike somewhere I recognized.
At this point your an idiot to continue, should have called a tow truck. Lucky you didnt kill yourself or somebody else.Bet the dealer makes you pay for your own brake job.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:46 PM
rbickford
Cruiser

I agree with Keith. It would be nice to be able to ask a legitimate question without having people jump down your throat. Is this how some of you guys act face to face, then it's no wonder you are spending so much time here.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

At least your ok,and your ride is fixed!!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to alienate anyone, especially those who post a life threatening experience that might happen to any of us.

These scooters can break and sometimes break in very odd ways. And yeah, riders can make stupid mistakes both in operating the bike and performing mods. Either way, all of us need to hear what happened and share the total event. Fersure, it might end up that the rider did something to cause the problem, or reacted improperly,but even that is a lesson for each of us to share and learn from.

Scooters kill us every day, and whenever EMT's and cops respond all they see is another dead rider who they assume did something stupid because after all, riding any bike is risky, huh?.....I know a guy who survived a broken left handlebar. He didn't dump the bike, but if he had wrecked and been killed, then all would assume the bar got broken when he wrecked, and not actually caused the wreck.

With that in mind, we here need to make it a priority to share any manufacturing faults and help determine the cause before it takes another one of us out....Yeah, in the end we might determine it was the fault of the rider, but those determinations should be saved for last.

No matter who's fault it is, in the end, anyone who survives should get a slap on the back for sharing the lesson.

Quick Reply: WIDE OPEN THROTTLE