Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 PM
crash1292
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

learn how to use the kill swith

Old 04-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

ORIGINAL: frog13

I hate to sound like I'm doggin' ya, but there is a "kill" switch which will stop all of this.
I guess that is too obvious.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:43 PM
croman69z28
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: frog13

ORIGINAL: croman69z28

(07 FLHX 5500mi) Long story short, by the time I got to Cairo (40 or so more miles)the throttle was stuck at WOT. I burned up both sets of brakes just trying to control it enough to get it somewhere safe.

Im not on the throttle. I went from dead stop to 70+ without ever touching the throttle.
Ok, I gotta ask. The throttle opened up all by itself? By the time you got to Cairo? You went from dead stop to 70+ without ever touching the throttle? Did you shift while this was happening? I hate to sound like I'm doggin' ya, but there is a "kill" switch which will stop all of this.
yes, when i hit the starter the rpms went straight to the rev limiter. I hit the kill switch at the stop signs ans red lights as well as sharp curves. I would get the bike in 2nd, pull the clutch, hit the starter and hold on.I was shifting without the clutch b/c I figured that was better than bouncing off the limiter. The local shops were closed so I felt like I needed to get the bike somewhere I recognized.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:46 PM
croman69z28
Novice

ORIGINAL: crash1292

learn how to use the kill swith
I know how to use the switch and did. I called HOG for the 24hr service and the towing company they called said they wouldnt tow it to a dealership until Monday b/c they were already closed and I didnt feel like waiting on the side of the road even if I was going to have it towed.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

Yah,,,I am thinking I would have shut it down via off switch longbefore letting that thingride mefrom dead stop? to 70 MPH? and catching my brakes on fire, which begs the questionwere you shifting it too along your way when it had a mind of its own?...... I then would have proceeded to call a tow truck...I doknow that.....

Pull the air cleaner and take a look inside the throttle plate maybe something is lodging the plate open? But I would have figured the dealer would have covered this....Hell, what do I know about it....

Would also disconnect cables from the throttle bodyand check for smooth movement in the cables and throttle body without the cables attached....But hell what do I know about that....

I have to admit if its real, it is veryrare problem! That I do know!

ORIGINAL: sifularson

It almost has to be the idle cable that isn't returning the throttle to idle. The throttle grip should "snap" back to idle when you let go of the grip from WOT.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:17 PM
bamabreeze07
Novice

Call a wrecker before you kill yourself.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:39 PM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

throttle blade could have come loose,although doubtful.The 2 screws are alomost impossible to remove as is.
Amazing isnt it you asked for tips on problem and everyone wants to tell you what they would have done instead.Seems lots on here have problem trying to control there vast knowledge or put someone down for not doing what they think they would have.
Also the idle control valve could have gone nuts.I know all the lovers of electronics on here wouldn't ever think such a thing possible.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yes, when i hit the starter the rpms went straight to the rev limiter. I hit the kill switch at the stop signs ans red lights as well as sharp curves.
Common sense to me is, if it revs that high when I start it I would not put it in gear until the problem was fixed. Riding it in that condition is suicidal.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys go from insulting to accusing.

The guy posted ascary experience and a legit question....he didn't ask for you to critic his response to his problem. He got the bike home, didn't he? That's more than most responders here could manage.

The question remains: "Has this happened to you, and what caused it?"

Old 04-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

And what did you offer?

No one can trouble shoota problem like this from a computer screen there area few different things that could cause it, and if you read through the entire thread many possibilities havebeenoffered. So if you ask me, there were lots of idea's for him to check out, and also VERY SOUND advise if itrepeats....Sadly though it was common sense reaction to more then a few of us. His getting this bike home, could have just aseasily also got him to a funeral home. I count him justlucky! I will leave it at that.

Sorry the answers did not meet your personalapproval...........

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

You guys go from insulting to accusing.

The guy posted ascary experience and a legit question....he didn't ask for you to critic his response to his problem. He got the bike home, didn't he? That's more than most responders here could manage.

The question remains: "Has this happened to you, and what caused it?"

Quick Reply: WIDE OPEN THROTTLE