Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Road Glide with mods or 08 with ABS??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 07 Road Glide with mods or 08 with ABS??

My '07 Road King was great, but my '08 Road Glide is a far better bike - and I don't just mean because of the fairing. The improvements made on the '08 touring models are substantial (ABS, IDS, TBW, some apparent engine mods) and really make the '08 a better bike. Now don't get me wrong - my '07 was fantastic, but I think HD was still working out some bugs on the new engine (remember all the complaints we read on the forum?) and the results of their work (experimentation?) are manifest in a tighter, more comfortable bike in the '08s. If it were me, I think I would lean toward your original goal with the '08.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:21 AM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ABS is the cats meowh! I have pm 6 piston on my softail and it stops great. Bought 08 road glide with abs and it is simply amazing how well it brakes probably better than the softail. Now I have not had to do any emergancy stopping yet but the control is incredable and feel very secure in the braking system when it will be needed.

If I read your login right Thanks For Your Service!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:19 PM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got a tough decision. I've got an '08 Ultra that I like a lot. There have been quite a few tweaks, plus the ABS (the Brembo's are a major improvement), not a tweak), that make the '08's a very solid bike. But, the '07 you're looking at has $1000's of the goodies that are great to have and are already installed. You really can't go wrong either way.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:34 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

Heres a thought: based on your sig, I'll bet you have very good braking skills and it is a fact that a skilled rider with conventional brakes can out stop an ABS system on dry pavement. As we all know when the road surface is comprised it takes longer to stop and requires more finesse. That is where ABS shines; however unless you live in an extremely wet climate how often do you need that?If the ABS is the most important upgrade buy the '08, otherwise I would go with the '07 because it has many thousands of dolllars in upgrades and is probably well sorted out also. Just my $.02 from another RiderCoach.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:17 PM
calrickster
Advanced

One (somewhat) minorconsideration is whether or not you have a preference or not towards the color bike you want and whether or not the black motor vs. the silver motor makes any difference to you or not...if you think you'd rather buy the 2008 inthe color of your choiceand it comes with the black motor compared to the 2007 for sale in whatever color that is with the silver motor. Like I say, a minor consideration to think about besides the ABS, etc.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Major Bill
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: USMCAmmoMan

Sold my 06 Street Glide because I wanted an 08 Road Glide with ABS. Wellthe plot thickens. Found an 07 with 103, king tour pack, chromed to the hilt, etc, etc to many mods to list they want $22,500.00. The bike is owned by the owner of Harley Dealership. I know I'll get a bunch of opinions, that's what I'm looking for.
No, don't get a Road Glide... why would you want one of those??

If, for some odd reason, you end up with an RG, be sure not to let anyone else know OK??

Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Major Bill
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 07yellowglide

would you guys please stop talking about how good the Road GLides are?

then the word will get out and everyone will want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes! Can we ban all Road Glide seekers and stop praising the RG!!

Talk about an awesome , I mean awful ride!!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if it were me I'd go for the '08. Not just for the ABS but the 6 gallon tank as well. I've always thought the baggers could use better brakes and another gallon.
I've never had a spankin' new bike with a warranty either, one day I'd like to try it out [8D]

Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: 07yellowglide

would you guys please stop talking about how good the Road GLides are?

then the word will get out and everyone will want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The word is already out and we don't all want one.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: bagman1

Id go for the 07 for 2 reasons. 08 has first gen abs and they have throttle by wire. I hear it works ok, but the dealer told me today there is not too many handle bar selections available yet
1. 1st generation ABS??? ABS has been around for many years, and available on HD police bikes since 2005.
2. What is wrong with throttle by wire? That, too, has been around for many years just not on motorcycles.
3. My bike came with handlebars already installed.Plus any bar can be easily modified to work on the '08s.

Quick Reply: 07 Road Glide with mods or 08 with ABS??