Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Dragging

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:32 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Wheel Dragging

Just replaced my front tire on my 06 Road King. removed and replaced by the "bible" even had to read the part about the 7/16 drill bit 4 times to understand. I did not replace my brake pads as they had at least 3/4 pad left. My issue is the wheel does not even come close to spinning free. I dont have to man handle it, but It also does not rotate more then about 8" when I try to spin it.

Normal? or do I have somthing else I need to look for causing the increased drag?

Thanks

Frank

Old 04-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Default RE: Front Wheel Dragging

Frank

My 06 RK did the same thing. I used the 7/16 drill bit and re-torqued. Wheel will spin about 8" then stop. While crab walking or going very slow you could hear the pads rubbing.

I never did get the scraping sound out but this is what I did and was recommended to me.

Remove the both brake calipers and spin the wheel. If it still only spins 8" then you may have front wheel bearing issues, if it spins free then remove the wheel from the bike andboth brake disksthen swap sides with them. (there's a HD bulletin for this) Completely clean all of the road and brake dust out of the caliper piston areas. Ifyou haven't already changed the brake fluid, thenempty it outas you should every 2 years per the maintenance schedule.

Install the front wheel with the disk's reversed and use the 7/16" drill bit to align, use the proper torque values. Spin the wheel again. If it is free then reinstall your brake calipers and refresh thefluid and bleed. Spin it again, if it only moves 8" then that will be about all you get.

I got mine to spin about 1/2 a turn after all that and most of the scraping noise was gone.

Seems like a lot to do for a little but it kept me busy one rainy weekend day.

Mine was much better but it didn't give me that much more free play in the front wheel.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:13 PM
harleykris
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I do. Remove the left side caliper, loosen the two axle retaining nuts, pull the right side fork out just a little. Don't bother with the drill bit. I then start to spin the wheel, there should be a lot of drag at this point. While I'm spinning I tap on the axle gently with my fist or a rubber malet. I continue to spin until I find the spot that it spins the most freely. It usually takes me a couple of tries but it seems to work. I also find that when I torque the axle nuts down that things change and I might need to make a minor adjustment. Loosen, move, tighten, check, repeat if needed. It's pretty simple. Since you can't adjust the left side, put it on last. I still get some drag from mine but it's much better than it was. Also, it helps to clean your calipers quite a bit. Be sure and use the right torque values. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

Did you put the spacers on the correct side? One is longer than the other and if reversed, would cause just enough friction with the calipers.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:02 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain

Thanks

Did just that, and seem to have gotten about a 1/2 turn now. I still used the drill bit, but removing the caliper allowed for alittle more pull of the fork. I have been pretty **** about my calipers and remove the fronts and spray/clean. With as much meat left on the OEM pads I will wait till I need a set(s) and replace with a better set. I had also found that the axel retaining clamp was not quite centered and one side was tighter then the other. (Fixed that)

Frank

Old 04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The axle spacers need to be installed correctly, short on right side, don't ask me how I know..

Old 04-28-2008, 05:49 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain

Not to sound stupid or anything, So your saying the shorter spacer needs to be on the Brake (lever) side, and not the clutch side? (I had seen your post yesturday with the same issue)

I didnt think I had them wrong, but just quickly doing a measure they are reversed on mine

Big thank you sir!!!!!!!!!! I must have switched the spacers when I removed the wheel. (Gonna have to put a L &R on my riding boots) LOL. All fixed spins smooth as can be now

Thanks

Frank

edited to say thank you to all who replied