Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 RKC Bars - Wild1 info

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Dethlace
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 RKC Bars - Wild1 info

This may be repeat info for some, but it seemed new to me so I thought I'd pass it on. I've been scrubbing the boards for info on replacement bars for the '08 RKC I traded in my Sporty on a couple weeks ago. The bars are rough on the back as most seem to think. So I need a replacement.

It seems the pickings are super slim on bars that will work with the TGS on the new RKs, and the dealership wanted to charge $200 for a couple hours of fabrication to make other bars work with it. Too much for me.

Looking through all the posts here it seemed like folks were pretty happy with the Wild1 Chubby 508 and 518 bars, so I called them to get more info. The guy I talked to said "Tell your dealer that all of our bars are being shipped already notched for the TGS so they work just fine on the '08 RKs" So, there you go. Was news to me, thought it might be news to others. My bike does NOT have ABS btw, so not sure if that makes a difference. Here's the bar he recommended along with my stats:

Me:
5'11
172 lbs

Recommendations:
- Wild 1 518 bar (thought 508 would be uncomfortable for my size due to too much pull back) ($220)
- Wiring Extension: 2007 and up bagger model +8 wiring for switches (from www.Namzccp.com) ($37)
- No extension needed for TGS, they have plenty of wire in there already
- No cable extensions needed
- Roughly a 4 to 6 hour job to make the change. 4 for a dealer, 6 for me.

So, once I get back from a trip to the UK and Ireland next month, going to pull the trigger on this upgrade (if I have any cash left thanks to the sh1tty US dollar). Should come in under $300 bucks, assuming I don't break anything. Hope the info helps others! And thanks to all that helped guide the research through their posts...

Old 04-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: '08 RKC Bars - Wild1 info

Thanks for the info. I was wonderin' if anyone was makin' bars for the '08's, and you answered my question. Did he mention whether or not that was for all the handlebar styles, or just the 508's and 518's?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Dethlace
Advanced

I was asking specifically about those models, so I can't say for sure. I would guess it's only the bars specifically for the RK's, as the others likely wouldn't need it, but that's just a guess. Might want to give em a call...they are super helpful on the phone.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright, thanks.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I'll do you one better. Contact wild1hd he's a member on the forum and you may have even talked to him when you called Wild 1. His name is Johnny and he works for Wild 1, and sells Chubby bars and cables and at better prices.

Wild 1's has many of their bars, if not all, set up for the 08 TBW. If I didn't have ABS, I would have went with Chubby bars. Didn't want to mess with the ABS line right now. You guys without the ABS are set, many bar possiblities.
Good luck!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 PM
stukes_md
Tourer

No cable extensions needed
I just installed 518's on my '07 RKC and put +4 (braided) throttle, idle and brake cables on. Wild 1 says you can use the stock brake cable, but it looks bad with the bend that is necessary,The additional length is needed, IMO. Iused the stock length clutch cable, but I'm going to replace it with at least a +2. It pulls tight with full left hand turns. I spliced and soldered 8" extensions for the wiring and would use 10" if I would do it again. 8" works, but the extra 2" gives a little extra slack.

It's not really a hard job with service manual.

Have fun.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Dethlace
Advanced

I've thought about doing the braded cables as well, but man...as it's a new bike I need to be a bit conservative on how much I'm spending. Still need to do stage 1. Any idea how much extra it would be if I added cables to the equation? It would just be brake and clutch, correct? How much complexity does that add to the project?

Old 04-29-2008, 12:00 AM
mountian man
Cruiser

I just put a set of 515 Wild 1 on 05 RK custom and I love them,They are 10" apes.No extenders needed on anything except the wires I put inside the bars,Man these clean up the bars good.All switch and horn wires are hid in the bars now.They feel great to.36" wide I think sure feels better than those pull back wheelbarrow bars.Hope you find what you want.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought my 518's through M & M Cycle and saved about $30. Give them a try.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 AM
scatpac1
Cruiser

Hey fellows I also have an 07 RKC, I installed the wo518 bars on mine, You,ll love them, Like Stuke above,I went4 inch over on the throttle,idle,clutch and brake,evrything went in great, I believe08 models have MOLEX connectors also like 07, I bought all my stuff from a place called cyclespot.com, bars and magnum chromite cables and lines,as far as wiring in the bars, I bought a kit from NovelloCreations, its a wire extension kit plugs right into your harness,simple good luck. and enjoy the RIDE

Quick Reply: '08 RKC Bars - Wild1 info