Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ongoing dilemma with exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 AM
TakeNoCrap
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ongoing dilemma with exhaust.

In the past few months we’ve heard a lot of talk about exhaust . One of the main problems lately is a lot of riders , especially touring , would prefer to have "QUIET EXHAUST ". We’ve been told that if we want more power, we have to use aftermarket exhaust. If we want it quiet, then stick with factory. Well what did Harley do with the 110 CVO ? Its quite yet with more hp. Why can’t we modify our engines and still have quiet exhaust ? Surly Harley sees this problem and one would think they would offer QUIET performance exhaust. Seems to me, quiet & performance is like an oxymoron rather than a compatible equation . So if the 110 CVO can have a quiet factory exhaust, why can’t we do our mods and have a quiet exhaust ?
I talked to my Harley shop this morning. They told me that if I wanted power and performance, I had to OPEN UP the engine and let it breath....? ..Well why not do that at the freakin factory ? Wonder how many Screaming Eagle slip ons they sell each year ? The man told me that if I installed my factory exhaust back on my bike that I would loose the build and create a lot of heat. So I have I think 108/ 103 right now. And im to believe that if i install my factory pipes back on that I will go back to 72/78 ???????? So now I have to deal with wearing freaking ear plugs just to have a adequate powered motorcycle ? Sounds like a load of Crap to me. Just saying....
So is there some way us touring guys can have both power and quiet exhaust ? I know there’s some tech’s that have dealt with this in the past. What can we do ? And please....no go get a goldwing crap. . Lol. Thanks

Old 04-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: The ongoing dilemma with exhaust.

My Supertrapps are not very loud and breath pretty good.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:23 AM
mkeeping
Novice

They told me that if I wanted power and performance, I had to OPEN UP the engine and let it breath....?

Your motor is an air pump the more you take the more you have to get out.

..Well why not do that at the freakin factory ?

Emissions.

Wonder how many Screaming Eagle slip ons they sell each year ?

I'm not sure but I would love to have some of the money they make off of them

The man told me that if I installed my factory exhaust back on my bike that I would loose the build and create a lot of heat. So I have I think 108/ 103 right now. And im to believe that if i install my factory pipes back on that I will go back to 72/78 ????????

No, you wouldn't go back to stock horsepower but you would lose power becuase you have created a bottleneck for engine. There is technology out there that can create a high flowing quiet exhaust but I don't think anyone is using it on motorcycles.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:37 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It is all true about the air. The more air and fuel in, the more you have to let out. Most associate that loud noise with performance, so for most, if they added 10 horses and it didn't get louder, they would think it was wrong. With that mentality, the market is for louder pipes, you don't see a large amount of people out shopping for a "quieter" set of pipes. With that said, call and talk to the manufacturers. My buddy had a 104" shovelhead that sounded like a tornado when he cranked it on. He wanted a sleeper, so he went to SuperTrapp 2 into 1. While it was not as quiet as stock, it was not a real attention getter, either, plus there were good performance gains. That said, you should be able to find something that performs without the noise.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
DanM
Advanced

Get the Screaming Eagle Street Performance Exhaust if you want quiet with more power. That's what I did. Definitely flow better, with a slightly deeper growl, but still quiet. To quiet for me... I'm going to try something different. For someone looking to keep it quiet and not **** the neighbors off, or doing long rides, these work great. Notloud, butwill allow you to blurp the throttle at cars and actually get their attn, unlike stock.

Dan

[IMG]local://upfiles/51089/EC5A77B74D65440AA82E6DFE5A0ABDE7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
cfmii11
Road Master

That's the same thing I was going through with my 07' Ultra.
I had Reinharts for a while and thought they were too loud.
I tried packing them but that didn't work at all.
I shopped around and bought a set of SE CVO slip ons and installed the SE Stage 1 air cleaner and the Cobra Fi2000 fuel management system.
The sound is just a little deeper than stock which is what I was looking for and the fried thighs are completely gone.
At first my MPG went down the crapper but after adjustments and speaking to Cobra Customer Service I'm back up to the mid 40's.
There is a noticable increase in the performance of the motorcycle.
So what your looking for can be done without blowing your ear drums out.

Charlie

Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 AM
ssihogdog
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: DanM

Get the Screaming Eagle Street Performance Exhaust if you want quiet with more power. That's what I did. Definitely flow better, with a slightly deeper growl, but still quiet. To quiet for me... I'm going to try something different. For someone looking to keep it quiet and not **** the neighbors off, or doing long rides, these work great. Notloud, butwill allow you to blurp the throttle at cars and actually get their attn, unlike stock.

Dan
Yep, did the same on my RKCustom and Ultra - identical Stage 1 set up with the SE Exhaust. Not too loud but a nice boost, enough for me.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:01 AM
CKinAZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It IS possible to make power with less noise, but you still need the airflow. The um, Japanese bike... ug, I hate mentioning this here... are able to get 180 hp out of motors and still meet EPA sound limits. The muffler sections are rather large and complicated though. On our HD's, the exhaust is quite visible and adds to the look of our bikes. Slapping some big **** mufflers on that make great power, but look like miniature Hindenburg blimps would probably not go over very well.

Opening up the intake and exhaust are easy and cheap ways to make power, so most people do it. There are also a lot of people that want a louder exhaust because it adds to the HD vibe that we all love. Supertrapp has always made good stuff. If you go with one of their setups that you can add/subtract discs, you can tailor the sound and power to your liking.....

Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Lroberts4
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SuperTrapp SE are what was formally used on the screaming eagles, they allow the motor to breath however the sound level increase is only about 3db, very tolerable when cruising, wont wake the dead/neighbors, deeper throaty sound. They are tuneable (remove add disks), can change the tip to your preference. IMHO the best of both worlds.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

RB Racing Exhausts arent very loud and they make one of the best 2-1 pipes on the mkt for power

Quick Reply: The ongoing dilemma with exhaust.