Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True-Track and STA-BO II

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:57 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default True-Track and STA-BO II

Anybody got any experience with True-Track and STA-BO II?

I've got Ture-Track installed on my 05 Ultra and I am please with the improvement in handling and absence of high speed wobble. However, one person at a dealership suggested I look at STA-BO II for replacing the rubber swing arm mount saying that True-track does nothing to lock the swing arm. Another guy at the same dealership questioned STA-BO II effectivness.

I want to be safe when I ride. Rubber wears out. STA-BO II appears to be a replacement for that rubber. But at $125 is it really worth it and does it provide and improvement in handling?

Bob

Old 02-17-2006, 12:20 PM
SiCkEl_RiDeR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: True-Track and STA-BO II

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

I've got Ture-Track installed on my 05 Ultra and I am please with the improvement in handling and absence of high speed wobble. However, one person at a dealership suggested I look at STA-BO II for replacing the rubber swing arm mount saying that True-track does nothing to lock the swing arm. Another guy at the same dealership questioned STA-BO II effectivness.

I want to be safe when I ride. Rubber wears out. STA-BO II appears to be a replacement for that rubber. But at $125 is it really worth it and does it provide and improvement in handling?

Bob
I'm not familiar with STA-BO, but have looked at it. I don't know rubber design, but I do know metal and any components made with Aircraft level T-6 is an obvious choice when "flexing" is an issue. The design from True-Track is the way to go/stay IMHO. It's what I'm putting on my '03 UC and that thing is HEAVY as am I, so I wanted something truly strong in design and integration. There's a reason it costs close to $400. Some serious metal in there. In any "riding" type of equipment rubber is always introduced. If you have concerns over something rubber (for wear, etc..) then check it for cracks/damage and replace it with OEM or go STA-BO if your that concerned. For me, I wouldn't focus on it until I was in the 50K+ range on the bike and that will take me some time to accumulate, so I would most likely replace it based on age, more than miles.

Hope that helps

Old 02-17-2006, 08:00 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

STA-BO responded : Unfortunately, we do not recommend installing
Sta-bo II inconjunction with true-tracks, due to excessive stiffness of the
rear end. Sta-bo was designed with the intent of economically reducing rear
wheel/ swing arm wobble on rubber mounted Harley Davidson motorcycles.

I glad they are honest about their product. I've got the True-Track and will check my rubber bushings regularly.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,300 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Just got the sta-bo put in my 2000 FLHTC and I am very happy with it.
Now it's time to do something for the front end.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Y2K................Put Progressive Suspension springs in your front end. Major difference.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:37 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a little gander at True-Track's updated website. They've added some new things to their lineup.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: SiCkEl_RiDeR

Bob
I'm not familiar with STA-BO, but have looked at it. I don't know rubber design, but I do know metal and any components made with Aircraft level T-6 is an obvious choice when "flexing" is an issue. The design from True-Track is the way to go/stay IMHO. It's what I'm putting on my '03 UC and that thing is HEAVY as am I, so I wanted something truly strong in design and integration. There's a reason it costs close to $400. Some serious metal in there. In any "riding" type of equipment rubber is always introduced. If you have concerns over something rubber (for wear, etc..) then check it for cracks/damage and replace it with OEM or go STA-BO if your that concerned. For me, I wouldn't focus on it until I was in the 50K+ range on the bike and that will take me some time to accumulate, so I would most likely replace it based on age, more than miles.

Hope that helps

I was recently looking into the True Track also, and I came across the stabilizer made by Ride-Str8. They are similar in concept, but from an engineering standpoint, the Ride-Str8 seems to offer some design advantages, in that it is positioned more to the rear, which would confer a mechanical advantage in resisting lateral movement/deflection of the swing arm pivot, and a bit higher up such that it is more in line vertically with the swing arm (and pivot). It is also quite a bit less expensive, but my curiosity/interest was more related to the mechanical engineering aspects.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:22 AM
katoomofdoom
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Eyespy

Bob

Hope that helps

I was recently looking into the True Track also, and I came across the stabilizer made by Ride-Str8. They are similar in concept, but from an engineering standpoint, the Ride-Str8 seems to offer some design advantages, in that it is positioned more to the rear, which would confer a mechanical advantage in resisting lateral movement/deflection of the swing arm pivot, and a bit higher up such that it is more in line vertically with the swing arm (and pivot). It is also quite a bit less expensive, but my curiosity/interest was more related to the mechanical engineering aspects.
actually, the price for Ride Str-8 2000 and newer bikes is $430 + passenger footrest bracket core exchange (without its 480) so it's a bit more expensive than the True Track.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: katoomofdoom

ORIGINAL: Eyespy

Bob

Hope that helps

actually, the price for Ride Str-8 2000 and newer bikes is $430 + passenger footrest bracket core exchange (without its 480) so it's a bit more expensive than the True Track.
Ah, I see. For my model year, it is much less expensive. Finally something goes my way for once LOL

Old 04-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Puzzled
Banned

I installed the Sta-Bo bushings in my bike a few days ago and was able to throughly test the bike this past weekend.

First I'll address the vibration that has been mentioned. I did not have any vibration in the bike in the form of buzzing your butt or hands. I did feel some in my feet but I also had a new pair of boots on so for all I know that was the way it always was. I did not loosen the mounts as recommended simply because I was chasing a noise and needed to do only one thing at a time. I also have a new front mount so when I install that I'll loosen the motor and set it up as described in the Sta-Bo information.

OK now onto the feel of the bike. I had no prior issues with my bike handling wise. Maybe I was just so use to it and was able to compensate....Because this bike handles unbelievably well now. The response is incredible. The bike compares to the handling of my sport bike, just heavier.

This will become a must do mod on any bike I own or work on. I can only imagine what a ride Str8 would add

Quick Reply: True-Track and STA-BO II