Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True-Track and STA-BO II

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 05:05 AM
SeaHag
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: True-Track and STA-BO II

ORIGINAL: Puzzled

I installed the Sta-Bo bushings in my bike a few days ago and was able to throughly test the bike this past weekend.

First I'll address the vibration that has been mentioned. I did not have any vibration in the bike in the form of buzzing your butt or hands. I did feel some in my feet but I also had a new pair of boots on so for all I know that was the way it always was. I did not loosen the mounts as recommended simply because I was chasing a noise and needed to do only one thing at a time. I also have a new front mount so when I install that I'll loosen the motor and set it up as described in the Sta-Bo information.

OK now onto the feel of the bike. I had no prior issues with my bike handling wise. Maybe I was just so use to it and was able to compensate....Because this bike handles unbelievably well now. The response is incredible. The bike compares to the handling of my sport bike, just heavier.

This will become a must do mod on any bike I own or work on. I can only imagine what a ride Str8 would add
I will second this observation. I just put the Sta-Bo I kit in which includes the both the swingarm bushings, as well as the swingarm mount stabilizers. My bike had 49,000 miles on the stock setup and rarely ever felt squirrely in any way...the few times I did feel a wiggle in the back, I fixed it by putting more air in the rear shocks.

HOWEVER- Since installing the Sta-Bos I can attest that my bike handles much more responsively than it ever did before. There is more vibration transferred through the frame to begin with, but it seems to be decreasing with each mile that I put on the bike. I've heard some testimonials that have said it takes 1500-2000 miles before they are fully broken in. I'm already at 400 miles and it's gotten much better. Some of that vibration may also be attributed to my installing the Velva Ride front motor mount this winter also....another product I've heard needs some break-in mileage.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:29 AM
sledder
5th Gear

i have ultra 2007 with tru-trac , it still wobbles at higher speeds 135-145 kps , i think it is a wind - faring problem .
you would think harley would have this figured out by now !!
the jap bikes i had previous didn,t seem to have this problem.

my 2 cents

Old 05-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Puzzled
Banned

At about the 700 mile mark my buzzing was gone. The bushings had seated themselves. For such a simple part it made a noticable difference.

There is a thread in the for sale section with these bushings offered at a discount.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

STA-BO responded : Unfortunately, we do not recommend installing
Sta-bo II inconjunction with true-tracks, due to excessive stiffness of the
rear end. Sta-bo was designed with the intent of economically reducing rear
wheel/ swing arm wobble on rubber mounted Harley Davidson motorcycles.

I glad they are honest about their product. I've got the True-Track and will check my rubber bushings regularly.
I doubt if you need to worry too much about them. The bushings on my '96 RK were in good shape with no noticeable deterioration when I sold it last November.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ok....i ran em both....i pulled the sta-bo's off cause of excessive vibration....didnt glide like a Glide....only diff in ride was it made it worse....i also didnt read any of the previos responses...i just told yall what i thought and i put em both on, so i have actual experience...unlike bountyhunter who'da toldya what he read

Old 05-30-2007, 02:45 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered the True-Track Trackula unit ($800). It ain't cheap.. but I get the True- Track, the new swingarm bushings, and motor mount. I don't get any high-speed wobble, but it feels like I'm getting a flat tire when I go through the twisties. We live in the mountains of NC.. and there ain't a straight road to be found anywhere around here. I should have it delivered and installed in the next 10 days or so. We are going on the VA HOG rally June 17-23. I'll post my impressions when we get back.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:20 AM
0204665J
Tourer

Can you tell us how it went?