Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding glasses over glasses, for wide head?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:55 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Riding glasses over glasses, for wide head?

K, I wear contacts often, considered laser surgery, but bought a Harley instead! Anyway, I do wear glasses from time to time, when the eyes need a rest from the contacts, or I'm too lazy to put em in.

I saw some posts on here about recommended riding glasses, some of which can be worn over existing prescriptions, but then I remembered how damn hard it is for me to find sunglasses that fit, or eye glasses from the doc too. I usually find many styles I like, go to try em on, only to find the stems pinching my head below the temple or above the ear, so I figured I oughtta go try some of these things on.

Went to a local cycle shop, he only had one brand he carried that go over the glasses. By themselves, they fit fine, but try to put em over the glasses, and the stem/hinge area of the frame presses the inside of the riding glasses, and pushes them off my face, no go.

Anyone else have this problem and got it resolved? Right now, if I try to ride w/ my glasses, it's pretty tough, they don't have enough surface area to keep much out, so I get a lot of wind and some dirt/debris in the eye, unless I leave the shield on the RK, which doesn't always happen, not good.

Thanks for any ideas. Maybe some of these online places will post measurements of the inside bridge, or maybe someone can recommend some good shops in the NC/SC area? Near Charlotte right now, but do get around...

Old 04-28-2008, 02:38 AM
winston chopper
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding glasses over glasses, for wide head?

I wear contacts and wear a pair of goggles. $20 Elastic strap around the head type. they dont even need to be tight. I have a pair with changable lenses clear and smoked for sun.I just got an ultra and dont even need glasses on it! At dusk riding home I sometimes dont wear anything. The windsheild blocks virtually everything.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:43 AM
pic55
Tourer

hi,you should try adidas
with or with out prescription
fantastic in rain
youhave only 2 eyes so take care of them

Old 04-28-2008, 06:44 AM
reeac
Tourer

A friend of mine wears goggles over his glasses and likes the look.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:45 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 different kinds of shades to go over my eyeglasses. One brand is FitOvers. My dealer sells them but I found the same thing at a local drug store for half the price. The other pair that I use in the cage were bought as fishing sunglasses from Bass Pro Shops. I think they are Cocoons or something like that.

Both brands that I have come in different sizes and lens styles so you can find the right fit. If the local dealer doesn't have enough of a selection then try a good sporting goods or fishing tackle store like Dicks Sporting Goods. Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Gander Mtn. etc.

My search right now is for similar glasses that are not tinted to use at night and in the rain.

Good luck in the search.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 AM
stubby
Road Captain

I bought coccoons about 3 years ago. I think from J&P. I bought the large size because of different size glasses. I have a large head, more important the lenses are as clean as can be. Inexpensive.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:36 AM
NJShoreScott
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this is not what you are asking, but I bought a pair of prespecription Panoptx (now 7 Eye) and love them. And they do have styles for larger heads. You might want to see if your eye doctor carries them and try them on.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:28 AM
tailgater
Advanced

I picked out a pair of sunglass frames at my optometrist. Had them install my long range perscription in the frames with photo gray, this way the lense is clear at night but darkens with the sun. Lets me read all my guages well too.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Wiley-X Romer II's and I have a pretty big head. They are prescription and the best, most comfortable sunglasses I have ever owned.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:52 PM
US Rider
Cruiser

Sat. at Laughlin I was checking out sunglasses at a vender who makes up perscription sunglasses. He had some with a secound perscription lens that clips under the tinted lens. You can pop it out and use them as regular riding glasses. That would work as well. If your interested let me know I picked up his card, but don't have it with me. He does Internet sales.

Quick Reply: Riding glasses over glasses, for wide head?