Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding glasses over glasses, for wide head?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:26 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Riding glasses over glasses, for wide head?

Thanks for all the replies...

Looking at some of the name brand prescription options, I'm seeing $150-$300 just for the frames, and then $X amount to add my prescription lenses. In the past, w/ my prescription, anything that looked cool to me, they told me they couldn't put my prescription (20x400 ish) in them, but I'll keep an eye out for something like this in the future, and ask around. Personally, at this point, I'd look into laser surgery again, before I spend another $300-$400 on a pair of any prescription frame/lense, if it was $100-$200, maybe I'd consider it, but we'll see.

For the immediate future, I was hoping to find something $50-$100 that could fit over my small (but wide) glasses, preferably w/ some sort of day/night transition lenses, but at $50 (or less) a piece, I could get sunglasses and clear/yellow versions I guess.

I just didn't want to throw a lot of money into another prescription set, if I didn't have to. I figured if I got a decent pair of 'fit overs' I could still use them w/ either the contacts, or the glasses. Maybe not the coolest thing compared to high end riding glasses, and high end presciptions, but seemed like a good compromise, since I do like to wear contacts as often as I can. If I wore glasses all the time, maybe I'd be more willing to spend the money on the prescriptions.

I should add that I just got back into riding, and w/ my first Harley, so I need riding glasses anyway. Used to wear full faced on sport bikes. When I do wear my contacts and ride today, I'm wearing my $5 special ANSI safety glasses (clear or black) that I bought for shooting safety, but hadn't gotten around to 'fitover' style safety glasses for that hobby, just used regular glasses or the ANSIs when wearing contacts. So, if I can find some fitovers that aren't to bad, then I would use them w/ the glasses or contacts, more bang for my buck right now. I wasn't planning on buying a motorcycle again until probably next year, but this Road King Classic (03 w/ 4800 mi) fell in my lap for $10k, so I couldn't pass it up, but between that and paying self employed taxes this month, I gotta watch the funds for a bit.

Anyway, some suggested Fitovers or Cocoons. I printed out their sizing sheets. Looks like Fitovers' widest size is 138mm and barely fits the front edge of my glasses, and may or may not fit the stem, as it flares out. However, Cocoons makes a 'Wide Line' that is 144mm that looks like it might work, and not even look like a giant bug, since it's wide but narrow vertically.

http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/sunwear/product.php?id=59

I see other online retailers selling them around $40 or so, maybe I can find a local retailer to try some on.

But I will take all the suggestions into consideration. Thanks alot.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's your answer, and I've been doing it for years. I'm sure you live near a WalMart. Go in there, and go to the sunglasses dept. NOT the OPTICS Dept. They're usually back by the womens jewelry. Then go to the rack that has the clip ons, and spin it around. You'll find some of the coolest FITOVER sunglasses anywhere. They come in all sizes, and are polar optic type plastic lens. I've bought 6-7 pair, and they work great while riding. If you loose them, break em or damage them, just go to the nearest WalMart. The cost is $18.99. And when you find the ones you like, buy at least two pair, you'll be glad you did. I always have a new pair in a bag in the saddlebags. Trust me on this one, you like em. CCRyder

Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I did the Walmart thing several years ago, and they were great, but now I can't find any. Now they all have the hard case, block your side vision, instead of being see through. Very unsafe.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:42 AM
mixham
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might take a look at Guard-Dogs. They make a number of models that fit over glasses, or can be worn by themselves. I just got a pair of the Evader I Over-RX's and a set of their clear and dark lenses. Paid a little over $50 for the whole deal.

They have a good chart for sizing the goggles over your glasses.
Not sure about sizing them your wide head [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Update...

Ok, looked at guard dogs site, looks like widest model not wide enough for glasses...

Was at a walmart getting a shaving bag to put motorcycle tools in, and checked out the ones by the jewelry counter, almost good enough, but still too narrow...

Went to Bass Pro Shops one night, they had Cocoons in stock, but not all flavors, but did have the 'wideline' I quoted earlier. Glasses fit inside, looking good, go to put em on my head, no go! Man, wth? The design on those things, they got this big wide frame, and narrow temples, the stems go straigh back, no curve to accomodate the head, or stem of glasses they're supposed to go over. This might be fine for a smaller head, but I couldn't even get these things half way on.

However, while at Bass Pro, I saw a pair of these: http://www.stylescience.com/index.ph...;subcateg=1831

They were only like $16.95 + tax. Pretty good deal. Tried em out today, got up to about 75-80 w/ no shield, wearing these over my glasses, and had no issues.

I only wish they made a clear/yellow one. Oh well, at least the day time riding is solved for now, for only $18 OTD. I'll keep looking for a night time version.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:28 PM
BigJess510
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: karz10

Update...

Ok, looked at guard dogs site, looks like widest model not wide enough for glasses...

Was at a walmart getting a shaving bag to put motorcycle tools in, and checked out the ones by the jewelry counter, almost good enough, but still too narrow...

Went to Bass Pro Shops one night, they had Cocoons in stock, but not all flavors, but did have the 'wideline' I quoted earlier. Glasses fit inside, looking good, go to put em on my head, no go! Man, wth? The design on those things, they got this big wide frame, and narrow temples, the stems go straigh back, no curve to accomodate the head, or stem of glasses they're supposed to go over. This might be fine for a smaller head, but I couldn't even get these things half way on.

However, while at Bass Pro, I saw a pair of these: http://www.stylescience.com/index.ph...;subcateg=1831

They were only like $16.95 + tax. Pretty good deal. Tried em out today, got up to about 75-80 w/ no shield, wearing these over my glasses, and had no issues.

I only wish they made a clear/yellow one. Oh well, at least the day time riding is solved for now, for only $18 OTD. I'll keep looking for a night time version.
I gotta find me a pair of these.