Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping and backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Popping and backfiring

I recently purchased a fuel injected 2005 Road King Custom with a Stage II Big Bore add-on. The bike runs fine but I constantly get popping and backfiring out of the exhaust when I let off the throttle. The bike also has Reinhart True-Duals. I initially thought the popping and occasional backfire was fairly normal due to the engine work and pipes. I just rode with a guy that had a lot more engine work than my bike. His bike purred like a kitten. Now I assume the popping is not normal and something is wrong with my bike. Is the popping and an occasional backfire doing any damage to my bike? Anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do to get the popping/backfiring to stop when I let off the throttle?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Popping and backfiring

My 2006 Ultra does the same thing. I've been told it is OK. Mine popped so much when I let off the gas, I bought the SERT and had it dyno tested because I wanted to make sure it was set up right. I bought it used and I wanted to make sure it hadn't been messed up. After the dyno tune I think it pops even more now. I've been told that my Sampson Ovals are nearly straight through pipes and popping is normal on straight through pipes.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shouldn't do any popping if properly dynoed. Check for exhaust leaks at the header and exhaust connections.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

The guy that did my dyno is very experienced and he says otherwise. Are your pipes straight through pipes or do they have baffles?

Old 04-27-2008, 10:21 PM
wedwards
Advanced

I am no master wrench by anyones stretch of the imagination, but I always thought that popping and backfiring (especially on deceleration) was caused by excess fuel burning up in the exhaust (causing the popping). Assuming there are no leaks in exhaust as already suggested, proper configuration of your fuel management is supposed to resolve this issue. No offence to Ozoneman or the guy that "is very experienced", but I am thinking that if you are taking your bike to someone to have them fix this issue, you may not be in the best position to judge whether he is experienced/qualified or not. Sounds like they couldnt fix it so its deemed "normal" as it wont hurt anything much and is just annoying. If it was me, I would get a second opinion, as I had the same problem and one dealership couldnt fix it, but the second one did - turns out my fuel management was slightly off because when it was done there was a crack/split in a hose somewhere. Once that was fixed and it was reset and re-dyno'ed it was a completely different bike and no more popping.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Deez
3rd Gear

My 05 Road King with Reinhart Tru Duals was popping alot too. The dealer found a fine crack tin the exhaust pipe off the rear cylinder. He said it was a factory defect that Reinhart is aware of. Reinhart replaced it for free. It took care of the popping.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:44 AM
winston chopper
Tourer

Yes sir , that usually means there is a problem or its not tuned in very well. I have strait pipes on my s&s , no baffles and it pops once in a while not constantly.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wedwards
I am no master wrench by anyones stretch of the imagination, but I always thought that popping and backfiring (especially on deceleration) was caused by excess fuel burning up in the exhaust (causing the popping). Assuming there are no leaks in exhaust as already suggested, proper configuration of your fuel management is supposed to resolve this issue. No offence to Ozoneman or the guy that "is very experienced", but I am thinking that if you are taking your bike to someone to have them fix this issue, you may not be in the best position to judge whether he is experienced/qualified or not. Sounds like they couldnt fix it so its deemed "normal" as it wont hurt anything much and is just annoying. If it was me, I would get a second opinion, as I had the same problem and one dealership couldnt fix it, but the second one did - turns out my fuel management was slightly off because when it was done there was a crack/split in a hose somewhere. Once that was fixed and it was reset and re-dyno'ed it was a completely different bike and no more popping.
No offense taken.
My experienced guy took time to research the issue. His experience lead him to resolving the problem. He found that adjusting a setting in the SERT solved the problem. He took the time to call me and ask me to bring my bike back in. There is no popping now when decelerating.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:29 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigredone
It shouldn't do any popping if properly dynoed. Check for exhaust leaks at the header and exhaust connections.
+1

Beary

Old 11-08-2008, 07:41 PM
dreamcatcher2007
Cruiser
Default How do I check for these leaks?

I just threw a rag over the mufflers and hit the throttle a few times at idle? Is there something else I should be doing?

Quick Reply: Popping and backfiring