Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping and backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a PCIII, so the solution for my Rinehart TD decel pop was a piece of cake. I just brought up the map on my laptop and went to the zero percent column in both fuel tables and changed the +5 value to +10 from 2000rpm all the way up to 6500rpm. Can’t believe the difference! It’s like I have a whole new bike. Anyway, not sayin PCIII is the best fuel management system because I know that’s a whole nuther subject. Just wanted to pass along a totally positive experience and a total resolution to my 08 Ultra decel pop issue.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ozoneman, keep taking your bike to that Tech for future work, This is the first time in a long time I have heard that a Tech actually took the time to research and correct a problem. He is obvoisly proud of his work. With experience this can be corrrected pretty easy. The PC is even easier, you just have to limit the values you input or the bike feels like you shut the ignition switch off while decelerating. In his defense the Samson's and open exhaust are the worst to correct. The issue is mostly caused with injector bleed and "0" throttle setting. When up to speed and the throttle is rapidly shut, the bike goes full lean. You have a small amount of fuel that enters the chamber from injector bleed and "0" percent throttle, idle settings. The engine is trying to suck air from wherever it can. if you have an exhaust leak excess cool air enters the hot air/fuel in the exhaust and fires it. Without an exhaust leak hot air/fuel ignites in the exhaust at a lower rate. A baffle of spark arestor prevents most from "popping" too loud. On the SERT or PC you take those "0" percent throttle settings at higher RPM's to"0" or no fuel and shut the injector completely off. This reduces fuel entering the chamber/exhaust and stops the "pop." It does make the bike engine brake alot more, but you don't sound like Dirty Harry coming down the street.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gutman
... It does make the bike engine brake alot more, but you don't sound like Dirty Harry coming down the street.
I LIKE to hear my engine backfiring as I downshift down to a stop, or just slowing down. So I put a larger pilot jet in and enjoy the "popping"/ backfiring as I decel.