Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:43 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Stock Pipes

Here's an idea for you. Go to the V&H web page and you can listen to their pipes on different bikes and see if you like how they sound.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Kaiser Sose
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is another 'taste' issue. I'll opt for performanceover noiseany day.
I like the sound of my stock pipes...but it is my first Harley.
Funny thing though, lotta guys at work ride Harleys, and modify everything. A few of 'em have told me the bike sounds great, and asked what kinda pipes I went with. When I say 'stock', I just get a funny look.
But to be honest, I wouldn't mind a lower, beefier tone...while remaining smooth...I don't like the 'slap' some pipes deliver.
And like jmehal mentioned, on the bike, and behind the bike are 2 different sounds...ever driven behind someone who makes yer ears bleed? Personally, I don't wanna be that guy...although I'm sure he's enjoying himself.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with a Vance & Hines dresser dual system with oval slip-ons. You get the Harley rumble without them being too lound. I have the SE pipes. I'm happy when I'm on the throttle but otherwise I don't like them anymore, especially after hearing my buddies Wild Pigs. His WPs are too lound for me but I know the V&H ovals will be perfect. I'm getting the Monster Ovals which are quieter than the regular ovals but have a deeper sound.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

lived with loud pipes for 2 years traded up to ultra 11000 miles and still stock paid alot for that radio it kinda nice to hear it. had wid pigs on last bike baffles were cheep so its easy to change sizes to get the sound u want.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 PM
2ForTheRoad
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have stock pipes on mine, like the sound. Added PC III to help with heat and SE AC and had the PCIII tuned for this combo of pipes and AC, very happy with it all

Old 04-27-2008, 09:58 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

in 07 the stockers got a little louder

Old 04-27-2008, 10:06 PM
zapps
Cruiser

My 2008 Ultra has stock pipes and it sounds good to me. I did come off of a Goldwing for the last 7 years and it sounded like an electric motor. Maybe later I will want more noise.
Zapps

Old 04-27-2008, 10:11 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Stock gets my vote too. On my 02 I tried the usual combinations everyone talks about on these forums. For me, the sound was too loud. When I bought the 07, I really like the stock mufflers. They rumble nicely at idle without being unneighborly, bark a bit when you get on it, and hum real nice at higher rpms and road speeds. When a stock mufflered bike goes by on the street, they have the neat sound without the irritating noise levels. Love 'em.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Kaiser Sose
Advanced

Thanks for the sugestion, I just checked out the V&H site, nice feature...specially through headphones.
Really liked the 'ovals', and the 'classics', and the 'monsters'...man, I'm gonna hav'ta get more bikes to mount 'em all on!
Later, enjoy.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

I thought the stock pipes on the Ultras sounds OK when they started one inside the dealership. Once I heard mine started outside - well I got V&H slip-ons the next week.

Quick Reply: Stock Pipes