Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Problem with my NEW 08 Roadglide

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:43 AM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Major Problem with my NEW 08 Roadglide

I went and checked out my Road Glide.
The bar and shield on the speedo and Tach look off compared the Harley Davidon on the radio.
The handlebars look slightly off when I have the front wheel straight.
When I look down the fairing looks a touch closer to the gas tank on one side.
I got out the tape measure and did a point to point check.
Nothing was out more than 1/16". I'd say that was pretty good for something off an assembly line.
All I can say is with the different angles, lettering,and curves all coming togetheryou get an optical illusion that things are off more than thy are.
Thelast Harley thattracked straight with my hands off the bars was a Low RiderShovel Head.
I've had the same slight drifting on metrics andHarleys. It's torque, wind, grade of the road, weight distribution, etc. etc.
Unless you have uneven tire wear,your bike has theshakes I wouldn'tworry.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Peppa1

I would suggest you do the following:
Loosen the bolts on the bottom holding the handlebar clamps and twist the bars to get them lined up correctly and then have someone sit on the bike and hold the bars firmly as you tighten them back down. These things use handlebar riser bushings and they do flex if you tug on the bars. You can get some aftermarket ones that are made of a much stiffer compound.
+1 on this method.
Did it on my Road King, problem solved.

Peter

Old 04-29-2008, 05:41 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

As far as I know, many of the baggers have had this problem since they went to the TC engines (and maybe before). I had an '03 RK that pulled to the left and found on this forum that lots of others did too. The problem was driveline alignment from the factory. Apparently some of the jigs they use to assemble the bikes are not accurate. Got rid of the bike shortly thereafter (after multiple other problems that they said were "normal"). I finally got disgusted with the whole H-D line of BS. I decided that if they couldn't make a bike that tracks straight after 100+ years, then to hell with them!

I test rode a '08 Ultra about a week ago & sure enough, I took my hands off the bars & it headed for the left lane bigtime. I asked the salesman about it when I got back and he said "yeah, I've heard most of them are like that". Amazing! I guess the MOCO figures that as long as folks keep buying them as fast as they can be cranked out, then why worry about it.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 AM
kry226
Advanced

My 08 SG has it too. Might make a trip to the dealer today to see what they say. But this thing seems bigger than just the handlebars being misaligned. To me, it looks like the forks of off center too. My service department has never brushed me off before, so we'll see. There's a first time for everything.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:50 PM
08UltraClassic
6th Gear

Ihad a 2002 wide glide that did the same thing, took it in to dealer and they said it was within spec. Sold the bike and bought an 08 Ultra tracks perfectly when I let go of the handle bar. I guess I got lucky.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:03 PM
dietdewboy
Tourer

My 07 RK Custom is the same way, about 5 degrees to the right. Took it to the dealer and they told me to have someone straddle the front tire and hold it tight, while I jerk the bars back into alignment, kind of like you did as a kid with your bicycle.. nice answerer huh?

Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 PM
aliasjaguarjones
2nd Gear

ok here is the latest. The service guys said they did everything they could, but the problem still exists. They don't know what else to do. So I guess they want to talk to the factory rep tomorrow. What a joke! I am thinking I want a new one that I would test drive first.