Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Road King Wild 1 mini ape advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008 | 04:04 PM
rde
|
Road Captain
Default 08 Road King Wild 1 mini ape advice

I'm still looking for the right handlebar for my 08 RKC. Changing the seat didn't really help that much. I am now riding with a Corbin Classic Solo with backrest which is very comfortable.

What I've found is that I need more end rise the the bars. I'm 6'2" and feel strain in my shoulders. I want my arms in a more neutral position forward rather than down. I've looked at the Wild 1 518's and all they do in give more pullback, it doesn't change the downward position of my arms.

My favorite and most comfortable handlebars I've ever had were the stock bars on my Wide Glide. So now I'm thinking maybe I should be thinking 8" ape bars. So here's my two questions if anyone can help:

1. What exactly is the end rise, center width, width and pullback of the stock 08 "Buffalo Bars" on the Road King? I cannot find this information anywhere. I'd like to know what I'm starting with.

2. Does anyone have any pics of Wild 1 513 "Baby Ape" bars on their Road Kings? This might help me get an idea of how they fit. These bars give 3" more end rise compared to the 518's but you trade off the lost 3" in pullback.

I just did a 2200 mile ride with the stock bars. I can live with them if I have to but I know there has to be a better ergonomic fit for taller riders.

Old 04-27-2008 | 04:15 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain
Default RE: 08 Road King Wild 1 mini ape advice

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm considering the same options you are. I haven't changed out my seat as I'm waiting for the RKC Sundowner, but I want new bars. I'm anxious to see what opinions this thread produces.

Ciao

Old 04-27-2008 | 04:21 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Hmm... I dyno'ed at 70.98 ft-lbs and 66.97 HP after my TD install. I didn't do a dyno before the install so I'm wondering if my numbers dropped.

Old 04-27-2008 | 04:31 PM
wuznme
Cruiser

You do not lose pull back with apes; you can have as much as you need (technically). I would think someone over 6' would want taller apes (10 or 12.5

Old 04-27-2008 | 05:55 PM
rmouse
Advanced

I am 5'11" but with a long torso, I tried the Heritage bars and found they were still too short for me, installed Wild One 502s (12.5" Rise) and love them. Just got back from Laughlin and felt great after 1,400 miles of riding. With the Mini apes you can adjust the angle of the bars to suit your seating preference. I also found the hydraulic adjustable back rest to be worth it's weight in Crown Royal.

Old 04-27-2008 | 06:05 PM
60hawk
Cruiser

Dude,

Go with the WO 515's! You will not be sorry with the comfort and looks.

Old 04-27-2008 | 07:21 PM
nutflush607
Advanced

It's my understanding from the dealer that because of the TBW this year, you are limited in the bars you can put on your RKC. The reason I say this is because I just did it on mine. I put the screamin eagle bars on mine, along with that I also did the Screamin Eagle grips. I first set on a Screamin Eagle and liked the posostion of my arms. I'm 6'1" with 32 in. sleeve length. I am glad I went with this setup I couldnt be more comfortable.

Old 04-27-2008 | 07:49 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

Here is a link to the progress pics of my 572's on my roadglide. I should hopefully have some completed pics by Tuesday.

-lee-

Old 04-27-2008 | 08:13 PM
rde
|
Road Captain

It's my understanding from the dealer that because of the TBW this year, you are limited in the bars you can put on your RKC. The reason I say this is because I just did it on mine. I put the screamin eagle bars on mine, along with that I also did the Screamin Eagle grips. I first set on a Screamin Eagle and liked the posostion of my arms. I'm 6'1" with 32 in. sleeve length. I am glad I went with this setup I couldnt be more comfortable.
I am sure you like your handlebars. Unfortunately what your dealer didn't know or tell you is that all Wild 1 Chubbys accept TBW and are pre-drilled for internal wiring. You actually had several other options beyond the SERK handlebars that you have. I like the SERK bars, but I still want more end rise on the bar.

Old 04-27-2008 | 09:18 PM
haderlie
6th Gear

Make sure you also look at the Wild 1's 575 "Bagger Bars". I'm the same height as you 6'2" and riding and 08 RKC. Hands up, out, and back. No more tingling wrists or sore back. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 08 Road King Wild 1 mini ape advice