Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tmax 3 run dyno autotune

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Tmax 3 run dyno auto-tune

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

In order for any auto-tune system to perform well in WOT dyno runs, you have to be able to do WOT to allow the system to tune in the RPM/Throttle position range. Not too often are you able to do WOT runs for an extended amount of time to allow the systems to tune for them.

I couldn't care less what my bike is doing at WOT.............what I care about is normal riding conditions in the range I use the most. In my case, the DTT auto-tune system is doing great.........much smoother then any of my "dyno-tuned" maps with a PC were ever doing before.

Stick with the auto-tune system...............it's really the only way to go.

Steve
The auto tune is so pain staking the fuel mileage is in the pits...and it seems if I run it hard it acts like a totally different machine afterwords...it does not idle right and what every else symptoms it choices does it ever stop tuning?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The TMAX ECM and the HD ECM both require fuel and ignition timing tables (collectively known as "maps") that need to be close to optimum for modified engines. In that respect, the TMAX is no different than the HD ECM--you still have to tell the ECM what fuel and ignition timing to use. The TMAX, however,has the capability to read the actual AFR and correct to the value you established when you loaded the map. However, if the values loaded in the ECM are lousy/mediocre, then theTMAX will correct the AFR to those lousy/mediocre values. The TMAX, however, has no ability to automatically change timing, any more than the HD ECM, and timing is 1/2 the tuning equation. So if you have poor ignition timing for your build, neither TMAX nor HD's ECM can fix it.

I suggest you call Kevin at HQ and see what advice he has before I'd spend the money to remove the TMAX and buy a SERT. Personally, I prefer the SERT, but I'd hate to see you give up on the TMAX and spend the dough on a SERT when you don't have to.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ultra61
The auto tune is so pain staking the fuel mileage is in the pits...and it seems if I run it hard it acts like a totally different machine afterwords...it does not idle right and what every else symptoms it choices does it ever stop tuning?
Then you need to make adjustments to your basemap to correct your MPG problem. If the AFR is set too rich, the system is only going to do as it's told and adjust to that point.

No, the system never does stop tuning..............that's what makes it so great, it's always adjusting to any changes in the weather, elevation, or to your bike.

Steve

Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

The TMAX ECM and the HD ECM both require fuel and ignition timing tables (collectively known as "maps") that need to be close to optimum for modified engines. In that respect, the TMAX is no different than the HD ECM--you still have to tell the ECM what fuel and ignition timing to use. The TMAX, however,has the capability to read the actual AFR and correct to the value you established when you loaded the map. However, if the values loaded in the ECM are lousy/mediocre, then theTMAX will correct the AFR to those lousy/mediocre values. The TMAX, however, has no ability to automatically change timing, any more than the HD ECM, and timing is 1/2 the tuning equation. So if you have poor ignition timing for your build, neither TMAX nor HD's ECM can fix it.

I suggest you call Kevin at HQ and see what advice he has before I'd spend the money to remove the TMAX and buy a SERT. Personally, I prefer the SERT, but I'd hate to see you give up on the TMAX and spend the dough on a SERT when you don't have to.

Hey Carl,

I already own the sert...and I sent an email to Kevin. Thanks for the thoughs...get the timing rightI believeis difficult

Old 04-27-2008, 01:02 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Very well explained and excellent advice. I think finding a tuner that is familar with a t-max would be worth a try. HQ should have a base map for a t-max, might be worth a call.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:08 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

..... In that respect, the TMAX is no different than the HD ECM--you still have to tell the ECM what fuel and ignition timing to use.
Yes & no....

The TMax (unlike the DTT) is strictly an Alpha-N device. It determines and delivers BOTH fuelAND timing advance based on RPM / TPS. This means thattiming is tied directly to throttle position. Inthe stock EMC with or w/o SERTtiming iscontrolled based on the relationship between RPM & MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure). The same is trueof the DTT TCFI-II's & III's. This allows timing change based on load.

While thatnot totally relevant to this discussion about "peak" numbers... it iscertainly relevant.

The numbers that this HQ103 is making are certainly lower than I would expect, the same is true of most of the TMax controlledbuildsI have encountered (right Karl / Jason?).

Having said all that.... It was mentioned by several that you have you tell the TMax how to manage the motor and timing is just as important as AFR.

In the "proper hands", you will get better results and rideability with the SERT.... At least in my opinion.

Also, you mentioned mileage... If it's anything less than 40~45 mpg on that HQ103, then it's running too rich. That will not only make it run like a pig, it will douch the lubrication off your cylinder walls and contaminate your oil. Take a wiff of the oil, at the dip stick... if you smells like gas... change the oil and lean your AFR's in the TMax.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:41 PM
rick180
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same build, I called Zipper to have them give me a Map to match the build. They sent me the 319. Karl and I have been leaning and dialing different parts of it. It is getting better and better. Hopefully I will have a final map in the future. I haven't had it dyno. But I might when I think it is close and want to take it over the top.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rick180

I have the same build, I called Zipper to have them give me a Map to match the build. They sent me the 319. Karl and I have been leaning and dialing different parts of it. It is getting better and better. Hopefully I will have a final map in the future. I haven't had it dyno. But I might when I think it is close and want to take it over the top.
I am running 319 also...I will run the SERT on the dyno and then maybe go back to the Tmax if I am not happy w/ the way the OEMECM is running...