Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Broken Detachables Lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Buddha64
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Broken Detachables Lock

Put the detahcables lock on my tour pak and really messed up...I followed the directions. I know,I know.

Now I put the tour pak on locked the lock and the key is about 1/16" too long. So trying to getthe key in to unlock it I broke the little button of the lock. Now I can't get it to unlock so I can't remove the tour pak.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this thing unlocked? Before I take the whole pak apart to get to the lock and drilll it out.

George.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Removing Broken Detachables Lock

Take the saddlebag off the side youir broken lock is on and then you'll be able to see the bushing that the locking lever is on. Take the bolt out of the bushing (the bushing will now come off with the locking lever) unsnap the other side and remove your tour pack, your key might still work to unlock it, the button is only to engage the lock if I remember right. I hope this helps Let me know how it turns out.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Bluerose

You needed to bend the Key....if you put a new one on just take a couple of box end wrenches (if you have nothing else) and bend the key 15 - 30 degrees.

As you found out the locks are pretty touchy.[&:]

Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Gart
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try what gilbos said. Once you get the Tour-pak off, maybe you can turn the shaft of the lock with a needle nose. If that don't work, you can try to cut the shaft of the lock (down by the detach bushing) off with a Dremel.

And what Bluerose said, I bent my "key" to about 90 degrees so it would go on and off easy. I unlock it from the rear, some unlock from the side through the hole in the plate.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Buddha64
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

You needed to bend the Key....if you put a new one on just take a couple of box end wrenches (if you have nothing else) and bend the key 15 - 30 degrees.

As you found out the locks are pretty touchy.[&:]
Sure now you tell me

I don't know what I was thinking yesterday It never dawned on me totake the bushing off like gilbos440rtsaid. I removed the bushing today, I still couldn't get the lock to open and could not rotate it to drill it out. But with the whole thing off I was able to get a pair of channel locks on it and squeeze really hard and force the lock to release, the key was in it.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I'll need to get a new lock now if I want to have it secure. I just bought that two days agoand will bend the key when I get a new one. Call it a lesson learned.

Thanks.
George.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Bluerose

You would think harley would know about the issue....the dang keys barely fit the sissy bars and are always a problem with tour packs.

Glad you got it worked out.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Buddha64
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

You would think harley would know about the issue....the dang keys barely fit the sissy bars and are always a problem with tour packs.

Glad you got it worked out.
So am I , thanks. I don't know if I was being stubborn or brain dead that day, but I just kept trying to force the key in a spot it didn't fit. When I replace it I'll take your advice and bend it. I'll also say something to my parts guy, maybe it'll work it'\s way up the chain.

George.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Harley.Driver
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-28-2008, 04:38 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One other thing DON"T clamp on the barrel end of the key to bend it, it will break off, it's held on with a tiny screw, Don't ask how I know and one other thing make sure of the way the key goes in the lock before bending it