Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch clatter

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 05:27 PM
vettedog72
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch clatter

Sometimes when I slip the clutch, just moving up a little or just a easy pull off, I hear a clatter. Only 11k total miles. Had the 10k service and they may have adjusted the clutch. No descrepenses were found. Where am I headed with noise?

Old 04-26-2008, 06:00 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain
Default RE: Clutch clatter

My 06 dyna had a clatter on take of never found out why and traded it in. Sorry I cant help If you find the problem let us know

Old 04-26-2008, 06:16 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1664590/tm.htm found with the search engine

Old 04-26-2008, 06:57 PM
vettedog72
Tourer

Thanks hogbag07
My RK is an '07 and it had the IDS installed around 6kwhich made it a nice Harley. The newly developed clutch activated chatter is something new and started around the 10k check up time. It only occured when bearly easing the bike forward. The link you refered to was clatter but not clutch "stuff". It may not be the clutch but is is only produced when the clutch is slighly engaged like getting just right when parking or sligh move up forward at the traffic light or stop and go traffic.
dog

Old 04-26-2008, 07:28 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

I've evperienced thae same thing. The dealer tightened the compensator nut on one occasion but it came back. If I get the revs up it goes away. Sounds like the compensator to me. Can they go bad?

Old 04-26-2008, 08:09 PM
cooper57M
Tourer

my sg does that too from day one, i just got it a month ago. it only happens when i start rolling on from a stop, especially if revs are low.i noticed the noise because i was babying the bike when leaving the dealer. i think its due to the high first gear and not giving enough revs and me just luggung it. now it's broken in and watch my revs its good. I still hear it when im practicing menuevers making full steering locked turns in parking lot with a little rear brake applied. i don't think it a big deal. i think it the nature of the beast.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:24 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Probably not the clutch but detonation because you are not giving it enough gas (needs more rpms). If you do this in a manual trans car it sometimes stalls but the HD has enough torque for it's weight that it detonates/clatters but does not stall.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM
shy1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem with my 09 Ultra. Usually starting off from first gear and when the bike is hot. Not as much of a problem by giving more gas and more slipping of the clutch. I'd also like to know whether this is normal.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:25 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My 08 Ultra has done this from day 1. Dealer replaced compensator assembly still noisey. In shop now for same problem. Talked with Tech he has talked to HD tech service twice. He thinks it is compensator or 1st gear dog bone? Talked to him about upgarading to SE compensator. Told him if HD is paying for another new assembly, I would pay the difference for SE upgrade. Still waiting to see what happens.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:33 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine makes the same clatter. It is definately the compensator. At least it is on mine. Only when I ease off the clutch with little or no throttle. IDS took care of the clatter at speed, but this is the same noise.

Quick Reply: Clutch clatter