Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers are finally in!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:21 PM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speakers are finally in!

Some of you guys have been following the whole speaker delima. Which ones are best. Amp or no amp. Yada yada yada. I have finally tried them all, and am here to simply share my opinion. Before I get into that though, I'm gonna throw out this "disclaimer". I'm NOT trying to take bread from anyone's table. (ie. Hog Tunes, J&M etc.) I'm NOT trying to sell anything. I AM a dealer for Hawg-Wired now. Simply because I was so pleased with them, and I primarily sell dressers, and most of my customers ride the same. I set up for me, the bikes I sell, and my local customers. Obviously I'll sell to anyone if they want, but HDdude was here first, and I'm not trying to take anything from him. Jim is a great guy and very very helpful. You can find him @ www.ljsgroup.net. Now, on to the meat and potatoes of it all. J&M has been making m/c speakers for a long time. They also have fallen behind. I wouldn't recomend them to anyone at any price. They are still a lot better than stock, but for the same or less money, you can have a much better speaker with Hog Tunes, or Hawg-Wired. (from here on out refered to as HT & HW) I got both HT & HW sets pretty quick, so S&H isn't a problem for either. First I tried both sets with just the stock radio head. Both sound really good. The HT speaker had the better, fuller sound just setting there at normal volume. The HW had a clearer sound at a higher volume. I'm a bass junky, so I was really pro HT for this trial. Then I decided it was time to ride, and see what I really had. The HT started to get a lil distorted at higher speeds, and the HW, though not as full, had a very clear sound. Being that I had an amp before, I wasn't very impressed with either speaker, with no amp behind it. If you went from stock to either, you should be more than happy with the results. Amp time! The HW amp kit was a breeze to install. Everything comes in a very nice package with easy instructions. I tried the HT with the amp first. Man what a sound. It was great. I took the bike out, and wasn't quite as happy. Same as before, sounded great just fartin' around, and setting still. Once I got up to about 70mph, everything was starting to get a lil distorted. I come back, and switched to the HW speakers. I could tell right off the bat, I had lost some bass. Once I got out on the road, the HW's really come to the front. I've never had a speaker/amp combo, that I could turn the radio wide open on, and still hear anything remotely close to music. I should mention that I played with the bass / treble on both speakers through out the whole process. I wanted to make a good and fair judgement call. That being said, I ran the b/t settings at equal levels for the highway test. (about 3-4 bars from all the way up). The V&H Pro Pipe on my bike is quite loud, so getting over that was an acomplishment in itself for both speakers. Overall I am very pleased with HT & HW. Both have great quality products. Both also have great customer service. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I think a lot of it will depend on your riding style, exhaust, desired sound, etc. That's pretty much my opinion on the matter. Feel free to email me with any specific questions.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:55 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Speakers are finally in!

Thanks for the feedback! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

I'll be sticking with HT as the others to rich for my blood. Plus PEZ is coming out with a new speaker for the '06's.

Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:15 PM
HdDude
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Derek;
Great review on the products. Your impression of the difference between the HW & HT speakers are the same as mine were. I agree that the HT speakers are an excellent product as well and we know that Pez takes care of his customers.

Your becoming a dealer for the products is a great testimonial of the product itself. I became a dealer for the same reason. All of the products I carry I do so because I believe in them and would proudly use them on my own bikes.

There are also new and exiting products soon to be released from Hawg-Wired that will fill a void in the marketplace. Like HT there will be a 2ohm speaker soon. There will also be an 8ohm speaker as well as other products that will make many people very happy.

Thanks also for the plug on our site and I would also like to remind members of the site that we offer a 10% discount on the Hawg-Wired products.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:21 PM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I failed to mention what come of the HT speakers. I put them in my Dad's 05 EGC. The fit his riding style perfectly. I played them for him this morning, he was really impressed, and happy with them.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Sounds like an honest review. I would have to hear for myself before I would make a change from HT. (obviously I'm biased, since I love my HT upgraded speakers)

You didn't say what the price difference was. How much for each?

Have you had the chance to test HT speakers with a HT amp?

Old 02-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Grayhawk
Advanced

How long will it be before Hawg Wired comes out with 8ohm speakers?

Old 02-16-2006, 07:30 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior

$699.95 for the HW amp/speaker setup. Then have to buy the brackets and wiring kit.

Hawg-Wired

Old 02-16-2006, 07:33 PM
HdDude
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: CHEYENNE

$699.95 for the HW amp/speaker setup. Then have to buy the brackets and wiring kit.

Hawg-Wired
The amp kit comes complete with everything you need to install it. The only time you would use the HSA wiring kit and brackets is if you are using an aftermarket Sony stereo and want the handle bar controls to function.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:33 PM
HdDude
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Grayhawk

How long will it be before Hawg Wired comes out with 8ohm speakers?
Early Spring.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:35 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior

Oh ok, doesn't say that on the site, only says amp/speakers and wiring kit.

So it includes the mounting plates for the amp system?

Might wanna update the site so people know.

Sry for the mis information.

Quick Reply: Speakers are finally in!