Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers are finally in!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Grayhawk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speakers are finally in!

I put Alpine Car speakers in my 05 Ultra and they seem a little static when the volume is turned up going down the road. The bike has an 8ohm system and the alpine speakers say 4ohms. Could this be causing the sound to not sound good. I also have xm satelitte radio on my bike and i have to have the volume turned all the way up and i still can't hear the satelitte radio taht good. Godd the difference in the ohms be causing this?

Old 02-17-2006, 12:00 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great right up on the speakers. I have hog tune speakers in my bike currently and I love them. Since I'm doing everything over and customizing my bike I'm going with 2 JL audio 6 1/2 ( they will fit trust me) with 1 inch tweeters and 4 JL Audio 6x9 (2 in each bag) with a 500 W Kenwood mini amp. This set up is costing me $800. My buddy owns the shop. He have the same set-up on his RG with thunderheaders and here the music is no problem at 100mph.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:22 PM
dhutchison
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Grayhawk

I put Alpine Car speakers in my 05 Ultra and they seem a little static when the volume is turned up going down the road. The bike has an 8ohm system and the alpine speakers say 4ohms. Could this be causing the sound to not sound good. I also have xm satelitte radio on my bike and i have to have the volume turned all the way up and i still can't hear the satelitte radio taht good. Godd the difference in the ohms be causing this?

The ohm's are probably one issue, the XM radio is the other. I had it on mine, until XM pissed me off. I never could get it to work 110%. I had my Roady 2 hard wired with the direct FM modulator. The problem is, you just can't get the volume but so high. The alpine's are good speakers I'm sure, but your stereo head doesn't have enough power to run them. To get the most out of them you would need to add an amp. After you do that, you may get "distortion", because most 5" car speakers are designed to be secondary speakers, and not primary. Speakers like, Hog Tunes or Hawg Wired, have been designed to be a primary "all in one" speaker. I hate to spend money as much as the next guy, but I have tried it all, and you just can't get much out of a car system on a bike. Unless of course, you go the route that lil_gmac2 talked about. I'm sure it's gonna sound killer, but I need all the saddle bag room I have, and then some. If I had a bagger I just farted around town on, I'd do something like that in a heartbeat.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:04 PM
HdDude
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: lil_gmac2

That's a great right up on the speakers. I have hog tune speakers in my bike currently and I love them. Since I'm doing everything over and customizing my bike I'm going with 2 JL audio 6 1/2 ( they will fit trust me) with 1 inch tweeters and 4 JL Audio 6x9 (2 in each bag) with a 500 W Kenwood mini amp. This set up is costing me $800. My buddy owns the shop. He have the same set-up on his RG with thunderheaders and here the music is no problem at 100mph.
Just curious, Are you doing anything to the bike's charging system to support the current draw of the 500w amp?

Old 02-17-2006, 02:23 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

Nope nothing is being done to the cahrging system the amp is only pulling 11 to 14 amps. I asked the same question to my buddy. He said it will be fine I just can't have the bike sitting and playing music for over 3 hours.
ORIGINAL: HdDude

ORIGINAL: lil_gmac2

Just curious, Are you doing anything to the bike's charging system to support the current draw of the 500w amp?

Old 02-25-2006, 08:52 PM
coolharley
Cruiser

Great review, thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts.

Hey, don't be affraid of that paragraph button on your keyboard - makes it much easier on the eyes to read a long write up...